I am 33 weeks pregnant and recently put on bed rest by my doctor. When I applied for temporary cash assistance and TANF, I was told that I couldn't receive it until the baby is born. Is this right?

I live in Florida and have been having lots of issues with DCF over this entire pregnancy.

kcamperz

Asked by kcamperz at 9:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• Do you have any other children? If not, then I believe that is correct. Based on my limited knowledge, you must have a child in order to receive cash assistance
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 9:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Yes
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Every Hospital has Social Workers. Call the Hospital where you are delivering and ask to speak to one to help you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• You need kids to qualify for cash assistance.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Unfortunately I only have the child inside my belly at the moment. However, the list of qualifications on the DCF website states that women in their third trimester placed on bed rest are eligible for Temporary Cash Assistance.

What am I to do since I have no income coming into my house at all and I am not able to work because of this pregnancy? This makes no sense to me. I'm going to lose my apartment!!
    kcamperz

Comment by kcamperz (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Where is the father of the unborn child?

Maybe family and friends can help.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• The father is helping the best he can. As for family, they live far away and I'm old enough that I should be able to take care of myself.

My family has their own financial problems without me asking them for money.
    kcamperz

Comment by kcamperz (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Based on something I read recently I would question the bed rest. Turns out it does more harm than good. Yet doctors still recommend it because the feel they have to do something...
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:00 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:11 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Mine is because of the baby's positioning. She was already sitting very low and causing me lots of pelvic pressure. Now, she's also dropped and causing even more pelvic pressure. It's to the point that I have days where I can't even get out of bed to use the bathroom.
    kcamperz

Comment by kcamperz (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2013