What's your initial, gut reaction...

to hearing that a billionaire was scammed into paying $2.1 million for counterfeit wine?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• sidesplittinglaughter

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• This is clearly a case of affluenza.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I bet it was Gallo wine from the big jug! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I bet it was Gallo wine from the big jug!

No, the guy actually did make realistic fake wine - he's an expert, which is how he managed to get away with it so many times before getting caught. He'd mix really old wines that weren't that expensive with good newer ones, then make a fake label. If anyone tasted them, they would taste like the real thing. It was the fake label that actually outed him.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• "No, the guy actually did make realistic fake wine"

That was the most interesting part of the article to me. He knew he had to add at least some old wine to make the scam work. He knew exactly how much to use and what would work best.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• 2.1 million?!?! Some people have more money than they have sense.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• That was the most interesting part of the article to me. He knew he had to add at least some old wine to make the scam work. He knew exactly how much to use and what would work best.

Yeah, once it got into that part, I kind of wished they'd quit talking about the whole breaking the law thing - the process was far more interesting than the actual crime.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I think fraud is a crime. I don't care about the purchaser. He's breaking the law and I would hope that he pays for his crime.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:30 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• "the process was far more interesting than the actual crime. "

I agree. After thinking about it more I have to wonder what would have happened if he'd marketed this, legally, as an alternative to very expensive old wine. He could have developed a niche market because, let's be honest, there is little that uber rich people like more than thinking they're on the cutting edge of something.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Well then, it must have been good wine & the taste was worth it to the buyer. Probably a little Piasano wine in there too :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2013