If you attend a Catholic church- do you go to confession every week before you receive Communion/Eucharist??

I am Catholic but been away for many years. I want to attend Mass and get Communion but I am terrified about confession and I just won't/can't do it. I have heard that you are supposed to go to confession before you can receive communion- is that true?? I have never done that before so not sure now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is not correct. It is highly recommended that you do and it is actually a sin to not receive the sacriments at least once a year if humanly possible.
    I would suggest you look into a class for returning Catholics as many things may be slightly different that they were before and to refresh your understanding. Welcome back.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• When I married my first husband at 19, I converted so that we could be married in the Catholic Church. I asked the priest who taught my classes if I had to go to confession because I grew up Protestant, and didn't believe I needed to confess to anyone but God.

He told me that I was right, that I didn't have to go to confession as long as I knew that I had confessed my sins to God and prayed for forgiveness.

I don't know if the church as a whole feels that way, but that's what the priest that I talked to told me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• You will get priests that are very adamant that you must go and often.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Well... my understanding is that you cannot receive communion while in a state of sin. If you have not been to Mass in a long time, it would be best to talk to a priest about what you should do, or look into taking a RCIA class.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Hey the one good thing about Catholic confession is you have to say a few hail marys and it is done. Be glad your not Baptist, I think they make you wear a letter on your shirt to let everyone know your sins. LOL!
    I am of course joking, but if you want to confess your sins you should before you partake, if not that is another sin!
    I say do what your heart tells you to.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• When I practiced Catholicism as a child, we only did Confession during Lent, which was the weeks leading up to Easter, as a way of preparing for the Divine Sacrifice of the Lord. We didn't do them all year. It might very from church to church. Also, Confessions are far less fearsome than they used be in many churches. They don't use the dark, scary Confession booths anymore with the hard kneelers and the little screens you have to talk through. Yu just sit and have a little chat back and forth with he priest about what you did wrong and what you feel you could have done better. He gives you a penance to do, sort of like how you talk to your kid about what he or she could do differently next time, you pray a bit, and voila. Done. Easy peasy, mac and cheesy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I thought you had to do confession in order to receive communion, for the first time, at least. We left the Catholic church right before I was supposed to do my first confession, so that I could start taking communion... I remember freaking out over not knowing what to confess to, but I knew I had to do it...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I know that's why my mom loved the Methodist church, too - the idea of an open table, instead of just Catholics or those who were up to date on confession.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• The Priest is a go between. He stands as the face of the Church and as the face of humanity. When we sin, we sin against God but more often than not against a human.
    If You read the scriptures Jesus clearly tells us to make it right with the one we wronged and then come before the face of God and make it right with Him.
    Assuming you have made things right with those around you, where do you go to speak to God? You can go into a Church (consecrated ground). You may stand before the priest as a representative of both parts. But where is God? We carry God with us where ever we go and we can talk to God no matter where we are or what we are doing.
    In the sacrament of confessions you get verbal confirmation that your sins are forgiven and you receive an blessing.
    In day to day life it is not require though there are certain cases.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• The first of course is the introduction to the Sacrament of Confession. This is an opening of the way to use the sacraments as a Catholic. It is a required step in taking your First Communion.
    The next would be due to a mortal sin. For this you must go to confession.
    The last is at the time of death. This is done in conjunction with another sacrament. It is to help us prepare for our last "steps' on earth in peace.
    It is strongly suggested that during Lent you receive Confession and Communion.

If you can not think of a sin you have committed, review the 10 commandments. I know not a single person who has never told a lie, which includes half truths and twisting the truth so it appears differently. Very few hove never taken something that did not belong to them even if it was "borrowing" for a short time or disrespecting their parents.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2013