Has anyone ever attended a Friends/Quaker Meeting?

Or know anyone is a Quaker? I'm intrigued and any info would be appreciated.

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 5:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never attended, but from what I read by and about Quakers (in regard to belief - I don't nkow how their meetings go) I would definitely love the chance, haha.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• The more I read about Quakers and what they believe, especially Liberal Quakers, the more I feel like that's where I fit. (If that makes sense) The closest meeting is about a 45 minute drive from here.

I also read a blog about a Quaker Pagan's (I believe that's what she called herself) experience of attending a meeting. It was pretty awe inspiring. I'll try to find it.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• http://quakerpagan.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-happens-in-quaker-meeting-part-1.html?m=1
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I haven't but I have been interested as well.
    CharMama3

Answer by CharMama3 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Thanks for sharing the link. There is one 10 minutes from my home but I do not know of anyone who attends.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2013

• I went to a Quaker funeral. Before that, I'd known someone Quaker who explained their services. I believe generally children do not attend but go to a children's class. This is because their meetings are silent. They start out probably shaking hand or something before taking their seats and sitting quietly to pray or reflect. If anyone feels the spirit move them to say something, they will. This is how the funeral went as well. When someone speaks, generally no one responds. Everyone thinks quietly on what that person has said and only speaks when moved to do so. I'm sure the person who officiates the meeting eventually closes out the meeting...maybe that's when the handshaking goes on. That's how you know it's over and you can be more chatty I guess. It was nice, but really intense!
    LaMama7

Answer by LaMama7 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• No, I haven't. I have a friend that went to a Quaker college and she loved it. That's as close as I've ever gotten! LOL
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 12:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• No, but I'm good friends with a lot of Mennonites... Is that kinda the same?
    Went to their church once, but wouldn't go back. I was not really welcomed. The Bishop just sat up on the platform and glared at me... I think it's cause I didn't have my head covered with the prayer Kapp... Dunno... ?
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 10:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2013