Was your pain well controlled following vaginal delivery?

I'm really noticing a trend in my friends and family that the hospital doesn't seem to take their pain following childbirth seriously.
Some of these women are in severe pain following tearing or forceps(it's the new trend here to reduce the c-section rate) and hardly able to walk but their still checking them out 24 hours later with a bottle of ibuprofen and a sitz tub if they're lucky.

I've had 2 c-sections and they always made sure that my pain was controlled without doping me out of my mind. If I couldn't walk they assisted me and encouraged taking my time to recover. Even after leaving the hospital my doctor was continuing to make sure that my pain was under control and that I was functional.

I know that everybody is different when it comes to pain but after watching my SIL sob every time she walked more then a few steps and hearing about many others having the same issue it seems to be a bit of a pattern around here.

If you were in pain did the hospital seem to take it seriously and try to relieve it,even if you turned it down?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 7:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I never had an issue with pain. I tore with two of my kids, and they gave me prescription ibuprofen and other pain meds. I hardly used them at all. Maybe my pain tolerance is higher than most women, idk.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• They kept me on vicodin for a week, bless their hearts.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I never had an issue with pain. Tylenol and a sitz bath was all I needed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I didn't have pain issues either. No forceps but I did tear with my first. I remember being uncomfortable but certainly not the point of tears. Did she tell her doctor how much pain she was in?
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 7:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Pain meds after having a natural birth really?Never knew anyone needed it, its childbirth- the pain from the baby pushing out is far worse than the after fact. I mean I can see if you tore wide open, I tore a good bit but all I did was use a sitzbath. Oh well, I guess times have changed.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I was given about a week's worth of pain meds with my kids. I had a 4th degree episiotomy w/ my 1st, 2nd degree with my 2nd & a damaged tailbone with my last. I think it's ridiculous how some Drs. treat everyone like a pill-popping addict, when you have actual pain.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I only used tylenol after my vaginal births. And that was only a couple of times. Actually within 2 hours of of my second son being born I felt good enough to walk from the delivery room to my recovery room and it was a long way! My delivery room and my recovery room were the furthest rooms away from each other possible in that hospital. I felt great and walked without any problems. My midwife walked with me and all of the nurses actually clapped because I walked it. I still laugh about that!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• I was given a prescription for Percocet, but I never filled it. OTC pain reliever have always worked great for me.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• Oh and I tore after both.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2013

• sure you're sore...but pain?
    my pain was my boobs after I had my daughter (did not breastfeed) and when I had my son - the after pains OMG...HELL.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2013