What to buy someone that has everything?

My sil has everything she could ever want and the money to buy anything she doesn't have. We are on a pretty limited budget and I have no idea what to buy her. The amount we could give her in a gift card is negligible and I think they are so impersonal especially when the receiver is well off financially. I am a potter and my mil said that she would love some pottery, but I haven't made anything in a while and have nothing that matches enough to send it as a set. She has received pottery from me before but how much pottery does one really want?

We do not know her very well, she lives far away and she and her brother have different values, so they don't talk much or have much in common.

I just have no ideas.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Holidays

• I personally love creating baskets of sorts. For a bridal shower, I made a marriage survival kit. I made an over the hill survival kit and another time I made a surviving the outdoors survival kit. I think the most I spent per kit was $20 but it was fun putting them together, fun making the description and fun seeing the look on the recipient's face.

For my kids this year, I made a reminder basket. Here is what I wrote. In parentheses is the gift that goes with it.
    "On this Christmas and always I want you to remember:
    -stay warm & comfy (pajama pants)
    -life isn't always a bowl of cherries (chocolate covered cherries)
    -eat healthy but treat yourself now & then (apple & choc. chip cookie dough)
    -take care of your teeth (toothbrush)
    -don't forget to get out of the house every now & then (gift card for local fast food restaurant)
    -I will always love you xoxo (Hershey's hugs and kisses)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Double fisted Captain Hook dildo?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Bahaha! PGA!!! She is a republican... she doesn't do that!

SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Does she collect anything? Have any interesting hobbies? Like gourmet chocolates or specialty cheese?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• She likes money. Obsessed with it actually.

I know what she would like, but I am not willing to give it to her. She sells amway, she would really like us to commit to buying crap from her to help her grow her business. We do not like amway, it is more expensive and doesn't work as well as the products we normally buy, plus you have to pay shipping. She has told us in the past that all she wants s for us to buy from her. But we will not do it.

This is my husband's sister that sends our kids vitamins for their birthday. Trust me... they didn't ask for vitamins. Anything to sell her product.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• If she is a coffee or tea drinker you could give her a very nice mug or cup and saucer with a bag or box of gourmet coffee or tea.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 3:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Something handmade is priceless.

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I like the pottery, and I don't think you can send too much. Things remembered has cute business card cases that you could have her name put on, or just her initials for around $20, if you have one near you you can order online and pick up in the store. For someone with their own business like Amway, this is a nice gift I think.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• If she is passionate about a cause, donate some money to the organization in her name.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I would make her a piece of jewelry made of pottery like a pendant on a cord. Maybe with her kids names on it?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2013