Why are Christians ok with this representing their faith?

Robertson added in the interview, “It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

And what does this have to do with god and faith and ALL people being sinners? Where is the outrage from fellow Christians?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I'm Lutheran & I fully support the rights of the gay community. That man is not a representative for me. It's just one man's opinion.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• He only talked about a couple sins, it would take an incredibly long time to list them all. His relationship with God is just that - his, between him and God. My responsibility is to worry about my relationship with God, what He's calling me to say/do. Mr Robertson's choice of words was somewhat vulgar but I see no reason for outrage.

Answer by missanc at 7:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• It's just one man's opinion

I wish that was true, but it's not. If only the Christians who are so passionately supporting/defending a man they've never met were using that passion, fervor, dedication to actually do some real good like feed the hungry. Or if they realized how their sunshine Christian ways pushes more people away than it draws in.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Oh, I'm not. But he's got a larger platform than I do. I can blog to my heart's content, or post on Facebook, CM, as much as I want. I'll never get as much attention as someone in his position gets. So those of us who represent the other side of Christianity don't really get noticed that much. Even the scholars who represent a more progressive Christianity are kind of glossed over when it comes to the "mainstream." Many don't even know who Borg or Spong are, and they've been writing for decades. There's even a new book out "Why Weren't We Told," showing that progressive Christianity has been around for at least 200 years, yet NO ONE seems to realize it's there. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• To my knowledge, there has not been the claim made that anyone represents the whole of the Christian faith save for Jesus Christ, who was and is the only man who lived a perfect life. Mr. Robertson nor any other human being makes that claim. He was simply responding as a man to a question posed to him by a reporter for a men's magazine. I would venture to opine that this particular magazine has published material just as offensive to others as this is to you and was completely ignored by the masses. Mr. Robertson did not claim to be representing anyone other than himself, and it never occurred to me that anyone would assume he was speaking for me until I read your question. I don't know what he was thinking but he is one individual and he was simply expressing his beliefs on a single question. Did you read what he said when questioned since all the hubbub began? That answer was quite revealing about the man's motives.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• To my knowledge, there has not been the claim made that anyone represents the whole of the Christian faith

Then you clearly have not been paying attention.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• "Then you clearly have not been paying attention."

Seriously. On Facebook, in a debate group, I was told that any Christian who doesn't agree with Phil (in believing that homosexuality is wrong) is "weak on doctrine" and is merely making choices in interpretation based on "personal preference" and so forth. As though we have to be people knowingly rejecting something that is absolute, and acting in defiance just because we want to. Never mind that there are Christians (like myself) who believe the original language/context isn't talking about homosexuality (words like pedarasty, for instance), etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• if one of their flock is making a spectacle of themselves,it's their responsibility to come out and say 'hey,we respect his right to say (fill in the blank) but this is not the way we want to be represented as a whole"
    I for one would not stand quietly while someone of my faith is making a point to put someone down because of their skin color or sexuality
    If Phil truly felt that it was not his place to judge anyone,he could have easily said that he felt that God was the only judge,and that how he felt about others were his own personal thoughts,and he'd rather keep them to himself. AKA,not judging. But no,he felt the need to spill out his ignorance and hate

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• ,it's their responsibility to come out and say

But it's their practice to play ostrich.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• The sheer number of christians coming out to support this man tells me he very much indeed spoke for them. As they are agreeing wholeheartedly with his words and sentiment.
    Again i ask, what does talking about vaginas and penis' have to do with faith? Why is that even part of a discussion about god? Why are there no christians willing to stand up and say no, thats not what we are about nor god. I realize his platform is much bigger. But the massive amount of response from christians ive seen on social media is astounding. I think people are so busy spouting off about their rights as a christian that they fail to see the words this man used while discussing their holy god.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2013