Do you have a gym membership?

How much do you pay? Do you actually go to the gym?

I'm TERRIFIED of gyms - they're so intimidating, but trying to lose 20 lbs at home just isn't working for me anymore. My sister has a gym membership that isn't TOO expensive, but she hasn't gone in probably almost a year. She said if I get a membership to her gym, she'll go with me... but I'm not sure yet. I don't want to be one of those people who pays for a membership and never goes!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Health

• Mine is $14/month for my membership and childcare for my 2 kids. There was a $25 sign up fee. I go at least 3 times/ week. I'm too cheap to pay for something and not use it!

Answer by missanc at 10:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• No, never.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I go to a zumba studio- I pay 60 a month for unlimited classes (I do 7-9 a week usually). That includes hot yoga or pilates or whatever else they have (unfortunately though, when she opened her 2nd location on the other side of town-that's where those classes went)

I kind of want a regular gym membership too...for weights
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I don't currently because I don't need it - my new apartment complex has a nice gym that I can use for free. Ask to check out the gym before committing to being a member, and I would steer clear of Bally's entirely. They're impossible to get rid of. I did love their gym itself, but customer service is extremely lacking and each individual gym varies greatly. A good gym doesn't have to cost a lot.

Have fun! I loved going when I had my membership - there's something in the air that just makes you want to push yourself to excel.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• *you could get stuff for home- bands, balls, small weights, yoga- zumba- whatever else on youtube or on video...
    a lot of people do it that way
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Yes, I pay 190. a year and I go at least 4 times a week if not more......

Answer by older at 11:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I do body weight stuff and yoga at home, but I live in a super small apartment and I barely have room for that as it is. I TRY to get in some cardio (plus about 30 minutes to an hour of walking to/from work every day, depending on whether my hubby picks me up) but it's hard to keep up with that at home. I've kind of plateaued.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• If you are terrified the membership will do you know good .
    I would suggest a class, belly dancing or zumba etc. You may need a membership but you may not.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I have a membership that is $40 per month. I go 5-7 times a week. It has worked well for me. There is no pressure, no cliques (like you get at some clubs type places), and I have seen people of all ages and abilities there. People just come and do their thing. It has helped me loose 40 lbs this year, so it's been worth it for me.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Technically no, but my whole family is involved in Taekwondo, and we do a lot of workouts on heavy bags. So we DO get sweaty, build strength, speed, and endurance. Not to mention the self confidence of knowing you can protect yourself if you need to.

I'm intimidated by all the weight/workout machines at a gym, and I' too out of shape to swim laps regularly. So Taekwondo works wonderfully for me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2013