Oh..S•••! What to do in this situation?

My dh's grandma sent us a check for christmas for $200. When I went to cash it yesterday the teller informed me that she had written the date wrong. She wrote 12-08-1213. She lives 300 miles away and is a bit senile. My mil also got a check with the same issue. MIL said to just change it and forge her initials. I am not too sure about that one. But it would take weeks to get it changed.

What would you do? Also if grandma gives permission to change it on the phone is it then legal to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Money & Work

• Is the bank willing to call her and verify that the check is valid?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I thought we weren't allowed to swear when asking a question.
    Anonymous

• You honestly reported my swear word? You need a life!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• You'd have to ask if the bank is cool with a phone call. IMO it's pretty obvious that the date is wrong and they should cash it anyway!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Why in the fuck would I report your swear word? You are not that important anon. No more than I.
    Anonymous

• Is there someone who live close to your grandma that you could call and esplain the situation? They could then have her rewrite the check.
    Unless banking laws have changed, no one but the issuer can change the date or other parts. The only "change" that can be made is if the written word and the numerical amount do on match. Then and teller can call an inform the individual of the change made to the check and that is that the written word is the amount to be cashed ONLY. That is noted on the check.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• And why anon would you think you are so important that op is singling you out?
    Lacking courage, self important and hyper critical. You definitely need help.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Personally I would just rip up the check and call her and inform her I riped it up because she wrote it out wrong and you can not cash it that way. If she send you another check good. If she doesn't. Owe well! It was only $200.00

Answer by louise2 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• She did not swear she wrote S*@#

Answer by louise2 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Legally, that check is good. 1213 has passed- about 800 years ago....
    Deposit it thru an ATM.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2013