Questions for those of you that adopted dogs

im interested in adopting this time our dog we have now is a germen shepherd is a female big baby and she is fixed and a 12 year old cat. we have 4 boys 15,13,7 and 6 very gentle animal loving boys . we want to adopt total opposite from our gsd now thinking a small to medium dog , little to no shed .was thinking maltise mix,miniature schnauzer mix or bichon frise mix. although very cute and adorable im not sure I want to go through the puppy stage again tho with the nipping ,teething ,wildness and potty training altho I know any shelter or rescue dog will need some training again with the potty and since im a stay at home mom that shouldn't be an issue. my questions are since I do what a small breed now I have heard of them being more nippy and biters and with adopting a dog not a puppy is this a good idea with kids? have you ever done it ?im a bit scrared adopting a dog instead of a puppy in fear of it biting one of my kids. how will I know to pick one that will be good with my kids and not bite them? in your opinion do you think I should get a puppy just to avoid an already mature small breed dog biting my kids? the reason I also want an older dog like 2 and up is it can be settled down more and honestly I want to rescue a dog and I think they are so grateful and more loving that's how my cat was when we adopted her when she was 3.i don't want to make a mistake and I want this to be a forever home. please give me advise
thanks,

ALLSPORTMOM

Asked by ALLSPORTMOM at 1:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Pets

• I like rescues.
    They have issues and there is no doubt about that. I would go to the AKC website and there is a quiz on what breed might best suit your family. I would go from there because more than likely you will get a mix unless it is a breed rescue.
    Be sure that every family member and if possible at least your dog can meet the prospective family member. If possible go to a room or a corner of the store if it is that kind of adoption fair.. I have had big and small dogs and never had one bite me. nor any one else. The last one to our group was so shut down they were going to put her down. She could not interact and wanted only to be in a protective corner. I knew this going in and acted accordingly.
    Some have just been turned in and and are happy and playful and few issues. I would try for one who is 1-2 years.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Both of my rescue dogs (pitbulls) were already trained.
    Rescue dogs aren't necessarily there because they are unmanageable, some are there because loving owners had to move, or passed away.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• With shelter dogs it hit or miss. You can find dogs that will always go to the bathroom in the house, snap, chew and bark all of the time. You only know what the shelter was told about the pet's history. I think the risks from a shelter and the risk of a new puppy are about the same.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 4:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I adopt senior Chihuahuas and have been extremely happy with all of the dogs that we adopted. They have all fit in very well with my dd and our other pets. I don't like the puppy stage, I much rather prefer to adopt an older dog (preferably senior or disabled).
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• We have a Great Dane we adopted when she was just over a year and it was the best decision we made. A lot of rescues put the dogs through tests to see how they react to people, especially children. So the people at the rescue should be to guide you toward a dog that would fit your family. The problem with small dogs is that a lot of them, the maltase, Chihuahua, ect type dogs are small so people like to carry them and their feet barley touch the ground which tends to breed possessiveness, which is when folks get bit. If a good family type dog that has an excellent attitude and demeanor, I urge you to look at the Caviler King Charles Spaniel, just try not to fall in love with that face!
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 8:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• All three of my dogs are from a shelter. I got one Beagle from one shelter. They told me she didn't play, was extremely shy, didn't like kids and wasn't house trained. She plays, is very shy, very house trained and is a bit nervous around kids. However, if the kids don't bother her, she ignores them. She is a very lovable and obedient dog. She is the best! Lucky is another beagle from another shelter. They told me he was surrendered because his family couldn't take care of him any more. However, the first time I took him to the vet, he tried to bite her. She told me I should be careful of him because she feels he is a biter. He does growl a lot. However, he is wonderful around my grand kids, not really fond of men (the vet thinks he was beaten and and tormented for most of his 8 years). He adores me! Last is Louie, a Papillion who was surrendered due to a heart murmer. After heart surgery he is a fun baby.
    kbpegasus

Answer by kbpegasus at 9:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2013