Do black people deserve civil rights? Were they better off without them?

Just curious. So many people here and elsewhere defending the DD guy because they agree with him about homosexuality. Why is nobody addressing his second comment? If he is correct, has been oppressed, and should be defended, please explain why black people should not have civil rights. What is the biblical basis for this?

Also if anyone cares to take a shot at the third, where his insists all non-Christians are murderers (and conveniently, every atrocity committed by a Christian is fiction).

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Most of my friends who're defending him aren't necessarily agreeing with his comments - they're defending him because of his right to free speech. Yeah, people are entitled to their opinions... but speaking hatefully and, in my opinion, threateningly is more like HATE speech and should be treated as such. ALL of his comments are scary and I, for one, will not be watching Duck Dynasty anymore. I don't think this man should be making any money off of the public anymore.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• they're defending him because of his right to free speech

Which is silly, because he didn't lose it. What he lost was his compensated speech, where someone paid him to speak, and nobody has a right to that.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Even if people are claiming free speech, i think they should understand the shit storm they are supporting. This has brought out all the bigots i droves....WBC anyone?!
    Why people are turning a blind eye to his further disgusting comments about blacks and non christians is beyond me. The only i can think is they agree on all accounts and are foaming at the mouth at the chance to cheer on the guy who vomited up their bigotry for them.
    I am thoroughly disgusted by these people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I had to address this on FB. So many people over looked his idiotic comments about race and non Christians. When I read the article I was shocked no one even brought that up. I guess its easier to defend a man who just disagrees with homosexuality because god says so. but if you add racist and a moron who doesn't understand Christians commit mass murders too, their history is filled with it, is much easier. im interested on how people will try to flip this around to okay it.

I mean seriously people wth.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 6:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• He's talking about an experience when he was younger, working the cotton fields alongside of black people, doing the same work as they did. He's speaking about THOSE black people, and not any others, like people are accusing him of.
    Anonymous

• What a horrible couple questions there.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• He's speaking about THOSE black people

People who could not speak freely around him or they'd risk being lynched...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I think anon needs to do some history research
    Blacks in the south faced being shot,lynched,dragged behind cars,having their tongues or hands cut off,just for speaking out about having the same right whites were allowed
    Phil saying that HE never saw anything means he's lying,or apparently lived his life with blinders on

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• apparently many people have never been in the back woods of Louisiana. I have, and it is a very different world, a close community of all types of people working together to survive. They are not thinking about violation of their rights, neither blacks nor whites, they are simply trying to put food on their tables. There are many small towns in rural Louisiana that don't have a white person living there. What he said was what he saw where he was, not what was going on throughout the rest of the country. He did not say anything about anyone except those he experienced first hand. I saw most of what I saw in the 70s and 80s and it was just like he describes even then because it is a rural area of farmers, both black and white, just trying to scratch out a living. They are too busy working to lynch anyone, they are working together.
    Anonymous

• It really isn't just a river in Egypt.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2013