Mistakes were made.... so how many gifts should a child open?

I've spent nearly the same amount this yr VS last for Christmas. However last year I hit some amazing Target clearance scores and a pile of impressive looking .97 cent art kits at Walmart. The big shared gift was a puppet theater from Step2 that I waited patiently til they offered free shipping. Everything else was dirt cheap (best buy was a lego/train combo table from Walmart. Waited til 10pm Xmas eve and scored the store model for $11! So there were many large things making their loot impressive looking. This year my shopping was last minute and budget didn't go as far. Not counting the two not wrap-able gifts (archery lessons and gymnastics) we're at 5 each. It seems SO sad... is it fair? Is it appropriate?

2012 haul.... total under $250 (including suitcases, puppet theater... everything in pic)

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Holidays

• Wow
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• If they're not counters, it doesn't matter. That's the mistake my mom and my aunt made. Growing up, they were hyper aware of how many presents each of them got, and if either of them had more than the other. They unintentionally passed this on to my cousin and me, telling us the stories about it to the point that we started counting our own. We knew year to year if we had more or less, and our moms would go out and buy extra little things, just to have more to wrap.

We joke about it now, but I go out of my way not to bring it up in front of DS. If he has 20 one year and 5 the next, he doesn't even notice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I always bought the same amount of gift for each kids. It was no more then 5 per child.

Answer by louise2 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Usually every year I buy 5 gifts anyway. The amount of money spent varies based on how much I have to spend.

This year is quite a bit more than 5 each, but it's been a good year. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I don't think 5 presents is awful. If it looks really small you could fill in with new crayons/ markers, coloring books, bubble bath, puzzles, etc from the $1 store.

Answer by missanc at 7:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• Christmas isn't all about getting anyways.

Answer by louise2 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• DO something fun with the archery lessons and gymnastics gifts. Make a treasure hunt or wrap the gift cards or cards for them in a giant box each with several more boxes wrapped inside. They will remember the memories made more than the physical gift anyway.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• stacie not WOW, really at all! it's about what an ipad or kindle fire is and lots of kids get those
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I think last year was way too much. I wouldn't want all of that in my house. I don't mean the money, I mean the amount. 5 is fine, just if you can get a few small things.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

• I don't care how much it all cost, that is a ridiculous amount of stuff to give a kid at one time. Hopefully they won't expect that every year. If they do tell them to be grateful for what they do get.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2013