Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High Grade Displasia adult content

At the beginning of the year I had an abnormal pap smear. Through the year I have had a variety of tests, a colposcopy, an endometrial biopsy today and got the results from my last follow up pap smear...this time the results showed High Grade Displasia. Dr keeps gently suggesting a hysterectomy but despite my age and the fact that having another baby scares the daylights out of me I am not ready to make that decision...voluntarily. I am a single mom, have no support system, allergic to all narcotic pain killers and don't react well with anesthesia. I am scared and alone. Any advice?

Answer Question

Asked by MChildressDem at 10:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2013 in Health

Level 20 (9,966 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • This is just my opinion but you need to get the hysterectomy. 30-50% of high grade dysplasia cases turn into active cervical cancer. You have children and do not want to run that risk.

    I had to have mine done at age 29. It wasn't the most pleasant experience and I, too, was sad about having to have it done and no more babies. However, it never would have occurred to me not to. My children needed me.

    Answer by Brawn at 10:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

  • I don't know if I am more worried about the possible surgery or the recovery

    Comment by MChildressDem (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

  • Neither were particularly bad. I had mine vaginally so there wasn't much pain. I think I was in the hospital for a couple of days and probably a month, total, of recovery time. I mean a month from surgery to feeling pretty much back to normal. I was up and about long before that..probably a week to a week and a half.

    Answer by Brawn at 10:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2013

  • It can not be that much worse than having a C-section. Pain and recovery wise.
    You have no family or friends of any kind that could help out wit the kids for a few days or a week>
    If not hire someone to help you like a babysitter/ house mother type thing. You will want her there the day you come home at least.

    If this surgery is necessary and it is, you need to find a way to do it.

    If nothing else you could send them to camp or to visit XYZ for the week and go and have the surgery and be home before they get back,

    Answer by Dardenella at 3:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.