Looking out my window tonight,

After I put the kids to bed, I see my happy neighbors. Coming & going, pretty Christmas lights, their kids home from College. I think that used to be me. Happy, carefree & enjoying the Holidays but not this year. I'm in tears because of all the shitty things happening in my life that I have no control over. Family sickness, financial issues etc. I am thankful for everything I have but have just realized I mostly took it all for granted & never savored the really good times. I am not jealous of my neighbors. They are great people. They just remind me of how happy I used to be.

Have you ever felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2013 in Relationships

• God grant me the serenity to know the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Sometimes, but then I sit down and think about what I DO HAVE instead. Imagine your neighbors thinking the same thing about you. :)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• I think we all hit some crummy times in our lives where we regret having taken things for granted. I hope and pray for better times soon to come for you and yours. *hugs*
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• I used to feel that way a few years ago. Things are a lot better now, and I'm in a better place. So just remember that even if things are not good now, you will be in a better spot one day. Try to imagine what that will feel like, and you'd be surprised at how that will lift your spirits, if just a little bit.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• Yes. Grow from this and learn the lesson. Happy holidays and cheers to a better 2014. : )
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• Yes and things seem to pile up all at once.
    One year DH's mother and grandmother died within two days of each other, in two different states The one blessing in that was that mom wanted to be cremated and we have family plots already so the funerals and memorial services were right there. We raced to be with grandma in her last hours and missed by 1 hour and 15 minutes. His father was obviously super upset. DD needed an emergency room visit during all of this. Four months later, DH was in the hospital with what would have been a widow maker if we had not be just stopped at the turn to the hospital when he said he was feeling really bad. We were blessed and made it well in time. Two months after that the house burnt to the ground including one car in the garage.It was days before school started and there was nothing to rent anywhere. No help from any one and money was getting low. We literally had the clothes on
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• our back and those were scorched. And then the car just decided it did not like us.
    We did find a place, that took double the deposit to rush us in because the other renter backed out at the last minute.
    The very nice police man that helped us where the car stopped had a brother that would help us and take payments.
    And DH's work gathered somethings to just get us by.

That was probably the worst set of things all together. You just do not know how you will make it to the next day. But the sun does rise and things do get better. Just hold on. I am sorry it is so hard. Cyber hugs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2013

• Yes, I have been there. I have cried from loneliness on Christmas. But the one thing you can be sure of in this world is that things will always change. I'm not lonely for the holidays anymore; my cup runneth over. I hope you will see better days soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Yes, I have felt low. About things in life I was powerless over, that felt stacked against me. And yes, it has coincided with the holiday season before.

They are hard feelings, especially when it shifts from feeling sad/scared/overwhelmed because of your present circumstances to feeling grief about NOT being carefree & happy like before, or feeling unhappy about feeling low, but they are authentic feelings.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Yes. I've realized that this is the absolute worst time of year to struggle. Financially, emotionally. 'Tis the season to be happy, and yet you're just not. I am utterly greatful that we are all healthy, employed (even though it doesn't feel like enough), and have everything we need right now (though I fear for that security in the near future). I am thankful to have my parents near, but heartbroken at the thought of the rest of our families gathered together having a good time without us. I HATE that my son is growing up without that.

So yes I am thankful that my life could be MUCH worse, but know exactly what you mean when you say you just wish you could be happy. It isn't always a matter of mentally deciding you're going to be.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2013