How do you feel about your SO's driving?

Why oh why do some guys have to have this macho, I can muscle through it attitude? I can't stand my SO's driving. He drives too fast and waits too long to break. I get really stressed out if he is driving. And usually I do the driving. We went to my SO's parents house today. They live about 2.5 hours away. I drove to their house. As we are leaving, around 4pm, my SO says he'll drive home since I drove there. I say, are you sure? It's starting to get dark, and you don't see well at night, especially headlights coming at you. It's through winding, unlit, forest roads. He says, It will be fine. I say, are you sure? It's starting to rain, you know you don't see well in the dark, especially when it rains. He says, it's ok, I'll stop and let you drive if I'm having problems. All the way home he is driving with the right side tire over the fog line. Sometimes within inches of the ditch at the side of the road. Three times I had to say WATCH OUT! as he almost ran into a car parked on the shoulder, a person riding a bike, and when he didn't see a curve in the road. I keep saying over and over, I can drive if you're having problems. We finally get onto the freeway and I count 5 times that he drifts over so far that you hear that buzzing sound from the grooves in the road. We made it home without incident, but man, my nerves are shot.

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 1:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2013 in Relationships

• BTW- next time it's getting dark &/or raining- tell him you're driving- end of discussion. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• My SO learned to drive in New York city I learned to drive in the back roads of Montana...totally different styles and at times when we are in high traffic areas it still unnerves me. I have found myself driving more and more like him which isn't really bad as I can now drive in the city and not be sitting all day waiting for a "montana size opening" lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Sounds stressful. I'm glad you made it home okay. We were supposed to go to a play last night. About a mile from the house, the roads got really icy. A couple of times, my SO commented that he didn't like the conditions. Finally, he asked me what I thought. I said it wasn't up to me because I wasn't driving, but if it were my decision, we'd be turning back and going home. We turned back. I was glad.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I am fine with his driving normally. Like everyone he has his moments. If I get itchy about it he asks if I would rather drive. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don;t/
    My dislike is that he talks to the other drivers. No they can't hear him and wouldn't care anyway but he has to say something as though he is talking to them. Sigh.
    I don;t mean road rage just comments.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I stomp a hole in the passenger side floor trying to brake when SO drives. I like it nice and slow!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• My ex husband drove like Father Time ! I could run faster than he drove unless he was pissed!
    Gypsyd

Answer by Gypsyd at 3:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• And I didn't hardly let him in the car with me if I had to drive! Cause he was a backseat driver. Don't know how many times I told him he could run beside the car and allots see who gets there first!
    Gypsyd

Answer by Gypsyd at 3:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• LOL- Mine drives like he's out for a Sunday drive w/ Miss Daisy. lol ;p He doesn't like how I drive, but he's never really been a good passenger. He always puts on his imaginary brake before I do. He needs to relax, I'm a good driver.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• My SOs driving is fine. Its actually a little slow. He could speed it up a bit.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I have the opposite problem. My DH drives like a granny, at least when I am in the car. And when I am driving he is always telling me how to drive.  So when we go places together. He drives.

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2013