Freedom of speech or rightly fired in this case!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=9369028

Hope the link works, sorry i cant mAke clicky. Quick rundown.....a well known PR specialist was going to africa and tweeted "hope i dont get AIDS. Just kidding im white!" She has been fired after her twitter account blew up.

Should she be fired?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• WHAT!? SHE SHOULD BE PROTECTED! THAT'S FREEDOM OF SPEECH! FREE SPEECH! FREE SPEECH!

or, maybe being fired was a rightful consequence to spewing something ignorant and hateful...?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Yes, people should know better than to say stupid shit when they are 'on the clock'. Think about it. If you were at work yelling things like that where clients could hear you and got upset- would you still have your job?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I read that last night.

My initial thought is that I'd fire her just because she so stupid. It's 2013. Not like the risks inherent in social media with relation to employment are unknown. Second, just as in the other case that has been in the news, she has every right to tweet what she wants, whenever she wants. Her employer has every right to distance themselves from her by severing her employment. I can't speak to the "should have" part; I think that's more of a personal thing that people with disagree with. I can say that if she were my employee I'd have let her go in a heartbeat.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 12:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• What an idiot. People can say whatever they want, but they shouldn't expect to keep their jobs if their employer finds their comments offensive.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Freedom of speech has never meant speech with no consequences!!! Sure, I can say anything I want but I will also pay the consequences for what I say be it good or bad
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I saw this on the news. Yes she had every right to say it...freedom of speech, but her employer had every right to fire her. Touche!!!!
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• the twitter backlash was hysterical, even google took shots at her, and she earned every consequence, just like duckboy
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• She should be fired. Freedom of speech is one thing. Tactlessness and speaking in poor taste is something else altogether. Although I couldn't tell from the summary if this was a public tweet or something private said to just a friend or family member--actually, I'm not sure how Twitter works. If it was a comment likely to be seen by the public, then yes, she should lose her job because what she said was, at best, ignorant, hateful, racist, uneducated, and uncalled for.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• What an ignorant thing to say! Yes, she should have been fired!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 2:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• So where are all the DD backers? Same shit here, I don't see them coming out of the woodwork to defend her "free speech" and boycott her company. Huh, funny how that works.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2013