What's the right thing to do?

A friend from a local church I don't attend signed me up for a food basket with a turkey in it. She knew we'd been on some hard times. I had no idea she'd signed us up or I would have taken our names off the list. We're doing okay as far as food goes. The first I heard of the basket was when the church delivered it to my house yesterday. I told the ladies who brought the box that we really didn't need the food, and if someone else was worse off, it should go elsewhere, even though we were truly grateful. The ladies said no, it was fine, they were glad for my family to have it, and they lef. I asked around, but I couldn't find anybody to give the turkey and canned stuff to. I feel bad because my family isn't hard up for food at all. Would the right thing be to make a donation to the church? Or to a food bank somewhere? I'm really not sure.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2013 in Holidays

• Prepare the turkey, enjoy your meal. Maybe invite your elderly friend to join you and share with her. (I'm sure she would love leftovers)
    The church really wanted you and your family to have it or they would not have brought it to you.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 5:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I would try to find someone to donate it to, but if that failed, then I'd use it somehow so it didn't go to waste, and maybe make a donation of either food or money to a food pantry or through a store or something at Easter or something like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• You were given a meal, appreciate it! You can freeze the turkey, cook it and make a casserole etc. But if you are determined to give it away, take it to a shelter.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Freeze the turkey and have it another day.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 5:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Freeze the turkey. You never know when you'll need food
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Why not just eat the food they gave you. I would be crazy grateful if someone gave me free food, especially if I was hard up.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• You know what they say about not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Tis better to accept the gift, than to have to eat the horse! lol :p If I were you, I would graciously accept the gift & freeze the turkey if you can't use it right away. I like the idea of sharing your meal w/ an elderly neighbor or making a donation to a food pantry or the church. Just think tho, your child is on Christmas break for the next 2 weeks, so you could probably put that food to good use.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I would find a needy family and donate it to them...

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• So this week you have food but we have seen you voice your lack of food plenty so save it. Why give something away when more than once you have been on here asking for ideas of how to feed your family with only a few items. If you give it away remember when you ARE hungry that you had a meal and didn't want it.
    Anonymous

• You offered to give the basket back, and they encouraged you to keep it. You did the right thing already. So keep it and be grateful for the blessing of extra food this season. Save the money that would have been spent to buy that amount of groceries for a rainy day.

And send a lovely thank-you note to the church. :)
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2013