Still don't know what I want to be

Im 30, mum of 1, already have work experience, general studies degree (got that o I could transfer to a university), and currently thinking Spanish as my major and Arabic as my minor. I don't know what I want to do!!!!! I want a career that pays good money.....idk I always felt I would know what I want to do but I don't.
I feel pressure because I am a single mom and I want to be able to provide better for my son. I want to give us fun and travel.
I'm currently low income and want to move up from here so that is why I pursue higher education. I do NOT want to be a nurse or a teacher. Only a teacher if Ihave practical use of my skills.
That was the background...here is the question....how do I stop changing my career ideas (first was doctor then teacher of English in Dubai) and do I find out what I want to be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2013 in Money & Work

• Take some aptitude tests that help you decide. Then research the jobs it says you are suited for to see if that's something you want. The university should have counselors to help you out too.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• MrsMom nailed it. Are you enjoying your language classes? Are you good at it? Working as a translator is a possibility.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Yes, I have completed 4 semesters of Spanish and going to the 5th semester and taking medical Spanish. I enjly being able to speak another language. I guess I do have to take an aptitude test so I can pinpoint my strengths. Communication...talking, learning about people, especially of different races or cultures excite me. To be fair learning more about my race and being an activist gets the blood pumping =)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• My one known strength is communication
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• In addition to what Mrsmom and Gdiamante said, look for volunteer opportunities, perhaps through your university. Not easy with a child, but volunteering is a good way to get practical experience that can tell you what you like and and what you don't. For example, someone I know was very interested in working as a pharmacist till she went on a mission trip and volunteered in a pharmacy. She disliked the experience so much that she switched her studies to teaching and is much happier. My sister grew up thinking she wanted to be a fashion designer, but she ended up teaching kindergarten. I have two bachelor's degrees in two different fields of study, and though the second one really appealed to me and I may go back to it someday, I'm proofreading textbooks for a living now and my true largely unpursued passion is fiction writing. So you never know.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• You know I have thought of that, volunteering. I do have one day off that I could volunteer locally, either at a local Hispanic school l or the hospital. My fear kicks up in the fact of not having a clear path. I have a path but ...idk :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I have a friend who is a translator in the courts. She loves it. Just an idea. You also might go to indeed.com and put Spanish in the search bar. It might give you some ideas. Plus, remember that someone can have many interestes, but really needs to pick one as a priority to build a career on. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Are you in the US? Not to beat the translation thing to death, but I do know that there are concerns about having translators for people in medical settings as well as in courthouses.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Many schools offer testing for vocational and aptitude leanings. I would start there.
    I would have thought you would be interested in being a translator if those were the subjects you want to major in. If not there might be other avenues or other courses of studies that might be more helpful.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Combine what you're good at with what interests/inspires you. Believe me when I say I understand your frustration. Always money in an MBA too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2013