Speech delay worry

For the most part all it is is a worry. My son has gained a lot of speech this first half of the school year. Next year is kindergarten and my worry is kids will tease him or make him feel weird about it. This fear or worry of mine really has me considering homeschooling or something else. I wouldn't mind a private school if finances allows it. Public school amd his speech delay have me scared!!!!! Any thoughts on what I could do? *nkte...I plan to look at various suburban school end of February early March.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 7:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2013 in Special Needs

• Does he have an IEP?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Is he getting speech therapy right now? If not then his preschool should do an evaluation for his speech and the school district will provide speech therapy. My son is in kindergarten and has had speech therapy for the past two years, in preschool and now in kinder. The speech pathologist at both school has been wonderful They have been very helpful and kind to my son.

Unless you are a trained speech therapist, you should not home school unless you find him a private speech therapist.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Does your school system have a special education program with speech therapy? Has his teacher said anything about his speech now and if it is affecting him?

Have you talked to his dr about it? Sometimes they have programs that can help.

My boys had speech issues when they were younger. Both had speech therapy thru school all the way thru middle school. Although personally I think they should have been done in elementary school but the school district kept them in for the grants they get from the government. But the speech therapy helped them both tremendously.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• I agree with Sleeping. Homeschooling him without proper speech therapy will only shelter him for as long as you homeschool him. What happens when he tries to get a job and is really behind as far as his speech?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Mine has speech delay and autism
    She is on suburban public school
    Only first grade but no kids tease her much, that I know of
    I think it all depends on the school, the group of kids you get, and how any teasing is handled from the start
    Switching schools is taking a big chance, so find best one and stick with it, unless it turns out to be a poor choice

And IEP is helpful, and can have before first grade. My daughters started at three years old..depends on how delayed

Do you know why speech delay?

Here is a simple possible help, and it might help zero, but worth a try and easy
    Take out cows milk, replace with almond, not soy. IF, big IF, this is an issue, you will see improvement in three days
    Found this out by pure accident when mine was two and a half. She has autism , so maybe it ups her chances of clearing some fog
    Also cleared her runny nose and made her poops on the middle, not runny, not hard...leak
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Ues he has an iep and if I did homeschool the district I live in HAS TO provide speech therapy regardless if he goes to a school in the district. He gets speech now. So my fear of him being picked on or nkt making friends is all in my head? He has been at the preschool since he was 2.5yr old so sad pkus scared to leave it.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• ...leaky gut thing that comes along with autism

Anyone with young child and speech delay, especially if on spectrum, I would try no cows milk for a week
    So easy, and you WILL see results on days IF it will help
    Do not have to take out dairy, if food has milk in it, that is fine, just no drinking cows milk
    Almond is good sub, rice I hear ok too
    But soy not, if child has this cows milk makes speech delayed, soy milk very well could cause same issue
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• ...boys are at higher risk for it. I can tell he will grow out of it...
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• He only drinks pediasure...I don't buy any milk.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2013

• Is pedicure a milk product?
    I know this worked huge for my child
    But again, she has autism, and that whole leaky gut thing
    Sure it does not work for almost all speech delay, just worth a shot, and so easy
    Pass along to any mom with little one with speech delay
    Google cows. Ilk/speech delay, read what other. Moms say, I was shocked when I found it out

As for teasing, if he is on kindergarten now and no issues, do not place the cart before the horse
    Try not to worry, and just be on top of all new issues with new school
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2013