Am i allowed to do it anyway? CAUTION: jerk alert!

my SIL suggested that I take up a cleaning job at a guy's house that she used to clean for and it just so happens, her brother works there too, not my husband but his brother too.

anyway, the brother's wife worked there too until she became pregnant and couildnt work anymore. So I mention to my husband that I should go work there so i'll tell my son, who started working there with wood, to ask for me since i'm already a cleaner. the husband just breaks out in freakoland and says "no, don't ask for mom" so i'm like "ok, just mention me then" he says "NO! you don't have to deal with my brother like I have to. he said if the guy is hiring, then do not mention (my name), I wish my sister didn't bring it up to you"

it just broke my heart. I wanted to just cry but I held it in. I also never seen my house so clean all at one time.

so I contacted my mother and she said there's nothing wrong with dropping a business card and people need to get their panties out of a bunch, money is money and its about you, no one else.

what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• If I needed a job I would try to get any job available and family would just have to deal with it. I wouldn't have to have a lot of conversation with them so it's really none of their business if I were to get a job where they are employed.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• "i'm just tired of being that obedient wife, when does him controlling me stop?"

When you stop letting him control you.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 9:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I honestly think it's usually better if family doesn't work together. I don't think I'd cause family drama over it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• controlling you and letting you only work if he can go with you is ridiculous and definitely not okay
    BUT
    in this situation, I'd let it go. He doesn't want you working there and honestly, if it may cause issues within the family or with you I'd skip it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I agree with charlotsomtimes. This is a situation where you would be intentionally creating drama. Why would you even want to work in that situation?

Find a job that won't create work drama. This one doesn't have anything to do with controlling you. I generally wouldn't take a job with a relative because it can create problems under the best of circumstances, but in a situation where you already know that you're not wanted there, it WILL create problems, so unless you enjoy the drama and want to make others unhappy, why would you do it?

Look for another job.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Maybe there's a reason he doesn't want you to work there, have you tried talking to him about it?
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Does he have a reason? Why not get a job somewhere else? I wouldn't go behind my DH's back like that, but if he didn't want me to work somewhere, he would have given me a reason.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• So who doesn't want you to work there?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• the husband's brother. that's why I said he works there too but he works with wood, not a cleaner.

the husband doesn't support me
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• So both your husb. & your BIL say not to work there? Then don't. It's not worth it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2013