Speaking of that old freedom of speech thing....make sure you don't complain either

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514370/Couple-charged-3-500-bad-review-Kleargear-threaten-lawsuit.html

Just when you think things can't get more ridiculous, here's another example to remind you of the idiocy in the world. 

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The Kleargear clause stated: 'In an effort to ensure fair and honest public feedback, and to prevent the publishing of libelous content in any form, your acceptance of this sales contract prohibits you from taking any action that negatively impacts kleargear.com, its reputation, products, services, management or employees.'

So, let me get this straight ... the company encourages "honest" feedback but ONLY if it is POSITIVE feedback? How the hell is that honest feedback? I hope the couple wins.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• IIRC, what's messy about this is they added that clause after the couple that's been in the news had issues with them, so legally, it should not apply to them. I do think it's funny that their anti-bad review publicity has probably done more damage to them than any bad reviews would have. Plus, it means instead of posting ranty anonymous reviews, now people will go straight to filing BBB and AG complaints instead.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I guess freedom for some comes with a TOS. That's crazy.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• What that clause says to me is that they're so afraid of bad reviews, they have to guard against them by putting in a "you can't say nothin' bad about me" clause in. Someone who is secure in what is offered wouldn't have to do that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I agree Dard but all the articles say that part was added AFTER they made their purchase so it would not have been there when they made their purchase. We are landlords and people are always amazed about what their leases actually say. We give them ample time to read them before signing and even go over some of the more important clauses but they always claim "I didn't know the lease said that" when we ask them to stop/start doing something their lease states.
    Anonymous

• Is there anymore common sense out in the world anymore?? Sighhhhhhhhh

As for reading the 'fine print', I read them, but most of the time its in legalese, and who can understand it? Its frustrating for damn sure..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Again I say people are stupid. You need to read those contracts of use before agreeing to the terms. If they signed by clicking ok and that clause was burried in there, then the company has a legal leg to stand on. And if the clause was agreed to, there is no violation of free speech.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2013