How long should I wait.

My LO has been sick since Saturday morning. She's seems to have a cold. She's not eating as much but is still eating. She's taking naps which she never does. And I can keep her fever down with meds but it hasn't gone away yet. She still wants to play shes not lethargic. She's never been sick this long. I've never delt with a fever like this, that's whats really worrying me. Her dr. Doesn't open until 9. I'm not sure what to do. There were 26 kids sent home last week from a virus should I not freak out and keep up with the meds? She's 8.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 9:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How high does her fever go without meds? If it's not that high like 100 then she really doesn't need anything during the day. Usually it spikes later in the day so give her Children's Tylenol then at least 4 hours later give her Children's Motrin if her fever goes up again. if it's a virus then you just have to ride it out & make sure she is hydrated. My Son has had low grade fevers that last for days on & off. If you can get an appointment then bring her in to have her ears checked just in case it's an ear infection.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• She told me she feels better this morning but she still has a low fever.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• If her ears don't hurt then you could just ride it out. The Dr. probably won't give you a prescription for anything anyway. Ours doesn't unless you're on deaths doorstep. If her fever spikes out of nowhere then definitely have her checked at the Dr.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• It's usually 100 during the day or 99. But at night she gets to 101 meds will bring it down.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Yeah her ears are fine too. I feel bad for her because we always have a family Christmas party and now she will have to miss it.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• She can still go if she's up to it. Our pediatrician says "100 in not a fever as far as they are concerned" Even though we as Mom's feel differently, right!? Anyway she could still go if you really wanted to for a little while. My kids were sick like that for 2 weeks with runny noses & sneezing & we had relatives visit for the day & no one else got sick from the kids. Just no kisses!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Doesn't sound like that big of a deal, I'd let her nap if she wants and just keep an eye on her. If it's a cold she may be off for a week or so
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• That level of fever is actually a good thing. It's her immune system fighting the virus. Just rest, fluids and more rest and she'll be good to go soon. But it does suck that she's sick at the holiday.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Thanks ladies.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I'd just keep on keeping on. It sucks to be doing this over Christmas, though. Check around to make sure there will at least be an urgent care place open over Christmas, just in case.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2013