Kids, internet and porn in the wireless world

One of the largest porn aggregate sites tracks usage statistics, and found for the first time that in the US, porn is accessed by mobile devices (phones and tablets) more often than computers.

Pornhub desktop mobile and tablet traffic

Do you monitor your kids' mobile access as stringently as their computer access?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yea, this kind of scares me, my mom bought the kids their own tablets for christmas and I have to find out how to block all that :(
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Yes. My 12 and 13 yo's have phones that I have the password to, phones come to me every night at 9 pm, and I will occasionally ask to see them during the day. My 16 yo has a kindle fire that I also check regularly but he has autism and his interests lie more with Sesame Street than they do porn.

Answer by missanc at 12:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• DS is getting one this year, and the box says it comes with a 2 week trial of Net Nanny. If your kids are very websavvy, net nanny doesn't really do much, because there are ways around it. But, if they're just average users and don't know all the tricks of the net yet, that might be a good option for you (I haven't actually looked into the NN app at all yet, DS falls into the category that if he wanted to get around it, he'd know how)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I will check into that :) Thanks, Im sure mine can figure a way around it so, I might have to figure something else out
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• My stepson hasn't got a Smartphone. Maybe that's a good thing!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• My kids get monitored period. They don't have mobile devices, they are to young. When they use my tablet it's for the apps not the internet. And our computer is in the living room where we all can see what they are doing.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• When they were under our plans, yes. They are on their own now so , no.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• My oldest just got busted watching porn , using his brothers iPod. Needless to say someone's in deep caca & the tablet he got for Xmas was taken back and mommy got new shoes and clothes haha.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Not anymore. He's legal.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• My oldest is almost 20, no sensein monitoring. Only the high schooler has a smartphone and is monitored, as is the other kids' ipods. But we also have discussions about appropriate internet usage.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2013