Silly Question about Margarine

This is a dumb question, but keep in mind, I can't read the package. My boyfriend bought stick margarine, which I never buy. How many sticks are in a cup. I want to bake some cookies.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2013 in Food & Drink

• One stick is 1/2 cup.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• lol yep
    and 2 sticks are 1 cup. actually you use margarine for baking and the tub of butter for personal use. my friend doesn't even "get" that, she doesn't know why the margarine tastes not as good at the tub but really, margarine is more for baking and such, although some people like me, have been raised on margarine and putting it on toast and such so it doesn't really taste much different
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• 2 sticks is one cup. Enjoy your cookies
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• The package should have a measuring ruler thing on it.... at least I remember them having it.

I always just use the tubs though... easier to use, IMO - I don't have a mixer, so I have to stir all my baking my hand. :P
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Now they're saying margarine may not be any better for you than real butter anyway.

actually it isn't better for you than real butter. I was raised on margarine, too. My mom demonized all types of foods that are actually better for you than the low fat or low/sugar free or highly processed versions.

Just to clarify, though. I do keep some margarine around for some baking or when we are making something vegan.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Margarine is worse for you than real butter, and they've known that for years. The only reason they're still allowed to sell it at all is the food lobbies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Just for future reference- stick margarine is packaged the same as real butter, 1/2 cup per stick ;)
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Aaagh! That's a lot of butter. Thanks.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I was raised on margarine myself, and am more used to the taste of it than real butter. Now they're saying margarine may not be any better for you than real butter anyway. My grandma tells stories about when margarine first came out, during World War II, and how ugly it was, all white, and it came with the yellow color packet that you had to knead into it yourself.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2013