I'm feeling increasingly anxious around other people...?

Since I became a SAHM I dont go out of the house much. I feel awkward and paranoid when I'm out around people. I'm okay when people visit me but not when I go out. Whats up with this? The obvious solution is just get out more. But is there a medical term for something like this? Have any of you experienced it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• I have the same thing, I do get out but when i get home i replay what i said over and over again in my head and then i feel like a butt for what i said even though it really was nothing. I blush a lot too. Because of this i dont like going out with friends and doing things becuase i get nervous and dont know what to say. Its stupid, i know i feel like im 5. I use to never be this way until about 4 years ago. I have seen doctors and they say its anxiety and depression. As soon as my newest little one is out im going on meds to try and get my brain to stop worrying. (i have tried it without meds too), but sometimes moms brain might need a little help. I hope this helps and if you feel like its a serious problem please see a doctor. It will help.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 6:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I call it being a mom...I'm the same way..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• OP here.....and I should say I've always been a little shy. But I was outgoing too...Prom queen, president of numerous clubs in both highschool and college. So this is regression for me.

Anonymous

• 1st pp here. Same here...It's normal, I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• But if you WANT a TERM for it, it would be social anxiety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Social anxiety or Agoraphobia maybe. Google them to see which fits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sociophobia and agoraphobia are two that come to mind....since I have both!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I am the same way!
    I don't like to go out unless I absolutely have to. I don't like people to come visit me. I hate talking with people on the phone.
    It seems the only way I connect with people is online as I am doing now.

I used to love going to different places and taking drives to different places and meeting various friends for lunches or coffee! That was when my girls were young. Now that they are grown and I have gone through some harrowing health issues, I became more of a hermit.

I need to become a person again, but I'm too afraid to. I know I'm strange, but that's just me. I'm really a nice person.....just a bit of a recluse.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2009