What would you do different, the damage is done?

My boss told me to be assertive to my 5th & 6th graders they ride my bus and pretty much do what they want no matter how much I talk to them or move them to the front or whatever it takes to keep my bus safe while taking them home. It feels like I ruined it for me for them to listen to what I say :(
I do not want to lose my job bc of these kids :(
But yet I love kids it's seems like it is not me to be firm even though I am somewhat with my own kids but my kids listen to their dad me not so much I'm the softy...and this is what I think my school bus kids see, I've already showed them I am weak :( what can I do.
It is weird bc my other routes are good and well behaived (knock on wood)
Please no bashing I just started working here and would love to stay here for years to come :)
Thx ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Can you clarify? Do you mean that you tell them what to do and they don't listen? How have you shown them you're weak? Are there consequences for misbehavior? Is there a procedure in place for reporting children who do NOT obey the driver?

Is your bus equipped with security cameras? If you are doing the things you should, and the children are misbehaving, there should be consequences.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• It is no kindness not to be firm with kids that need you to be firm. They need you to be the structure needed for the bus to operate properly. If you have to assign them seats. If necessary. You make the arrangements for them not to ride your bus for XYZ days if they can not control themselves.
    I do not know what you issue with the kids is; what they are doing. it would certainly depend on what is actually going on and what they are not listening to you about.

It is not your job to be liked, it is your job to get everyone where they need to go safely.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Soft or not, if you have a bad group of kids, you need to enlist the principal and the parents. I don't know exactly how it works, but surely your boss knows that if someone is misbehaving there is a protocol to follow, and how to do so? I am sure that if the parents become aware of their kid's behavior it will become more serious to the child?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Another thought is when the route starts after the new year, before you let them all of the bus, tell them that there will be no more crap tolerated, you have spoken with the principal, and any and all infractions will be reported to their parents, if need be it could result in them no longer riding the bus at all.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• you dont need to look at it as "the damage is done", AND it's not your failure. Those kids are 100% responsible for thier own behavior. When school starts up again, I'd make a general announcement once they are all seated that ANY misbehavior, and you will pull the bus to the side of the road, and will not continue until everyone is seated and quiet. And, you will be using that time to write down names of anyone who is up,out of their seat, yelling, bothering others, etc. This list will go to the prinicpal, to every parent and the bus barn. then do it. the first time there is a uruly kid, stop the bus, write down their names, and just sit there. Dont engage with them, don't remind them of the rule. Just sit there. Probably some peer pressure will come into play as the kids who want to get home will tell them to shut up and sit down. LOL
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• You can't be a softy, if their safety is at stake. If you have to, you tell those kids to glue their cheeks to the seats and keep their tongues behind their teeth. They need to be safe so you can drive, that's the bottom line.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I didn't know the bus drivers where allowed to even talk to the kids they drove home? I thought they where supise to just drive and the kids did what they wanted to do. Tell they got off the bus.

Answer by louise2 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• So what are they doing?
    Have they been reported to the school?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I am not sure I understand your question. Are your own children riding on one of your bus routes or do you have one rout that only has 5th & 6th grader riding on it?
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 6:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2013

• Whatever you do, don't call the police and have them talk to the kids. We had one bus driver do that and she got fired.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2013