How can I get myself to sleep better?

I've always been the one to stay up really late as a kid, and it's turned me into a huge night hawk.. I cannot sleep before midnight and when I try, I get anxiety.. It's horrible! It wasn't so bad as a kid but now that I have my own kids, the last thing I wanna do is pass this down to them... How can I get myself comfortable enough to sleep before midnight?
I never been to a dr, never got any prescriptions for sleep aids.. Nothing, I just don't know if I need professional help for this or if I can do it on my own. I need my sleep back, this momma is tired!

It's just grown into a very bad habit that I can't deal with any longer, I need my babies to have a mom whose alert during the day, and not someone whose sleepy cause she couldn't sleep til 5am

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 24, 2013 in Health

• Google Sleep Hygiene You will find lots of suggestions.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 10:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• EXERCISE!!!!

Answer by older at 10:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Develop a routine, and get past the thinking that you can't sleep til midnight without anxiety. Just having that be a conscious thought is going to make it true. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Work out and eat right, try "easy" sleep aids like valerian root or melatonin, sleep teas, warm milk.... don't play games or play on your phone for about a half hour before bed, it'll help you wind down.

Honestly if you stay up late and manage to sleep well and still wake up in the morning, there's no problem. My doctor actually told me to stay up later - I had been going to bed between 8 and 8:30 and now I'm asleep around 10, and it helps a lot. I take a Zzzquil and either a valerian root or a melatonin before bed (and switch about every two weeks) and it helps.

To me it sounds like you have to get into a better routine. It'll be exhausting for a couple of weeks, at least, but it'll improve. It took awhile for me to get used to staying up later, but it's really paid off in the end. Do everything you can to get to bed a couple hours earlier each week and it'll get better.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I couldn't sleep last night. Finally fell asleep at 5am and woke up at 8. So I'm going to be a little goofy today from lack of sleep. I usually take a sleeping pill at night. Took one last night but it didn't work. Sometimes I just can't sleep.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• If staying up till midnight works for you, that's one thing. Doesn't sound like it's working for you any longer.

Lots of good info here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/16/250256086/healthy-habits-can-help-induce-sleep-without-the-pills

Answer by gdiamante at 7:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2013