How do clean freaks do it?

I'm not the most neatest person ever but I'm also not the most messiest person ever either. I clean as things get messy but I can't seem to figure out WHEN to clean so the house stays clean... I feel like I'm cleaning and cleaning and the house still stays messy... Is it the loads of dishes I'm doing, should I be doing more? I do about 4-5 loads on a busy day and about 1-2 loads on a low day... I sweep as I have a crawling baby but things just never stay clean.. Don't get it.. Idk if I'm lazy or if I'm just not doing things right... I'm trying tho! I wanna be a neat freak and keep things clean but uhh... It's hard!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I grew up with 2 parents who were clean freaks. My house is reasonably clean, I'm not going to be embarrassed if someone drops by, but it's nowhere near spotless.

I decided that having time to play with my kids and teach them things was more important. My mom baked us cookies, but we couldn't bake with her because we'd "make a mess", I remember my dad once telling me that I'd never be ashamed to have my friends over, but my friends didn't like to come to my house because they were afraid to mess things up. My parents never realized people felt that one. One of my aunt's who is also very clean recently told me that when her kids were little she didn't like to take them to our house because my mom was so perfect. It wasn't a comfortable way for a child to grow up.

Don't worry about being perfect, just give your children a happy loving home. You'll be fine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I'm jealous of all the moms in my life who just get it all done. I have no idea how they do it. I've been at my 9-5 Monday-Friday job for 6 months now... I knew it would be hard to get used to, because before (when I was in retail) I would use my days off to clean the house. Now I don't get home until after 6, and I just want to eat and relax before bed - then on weekends we're usually running around (we get antsy if we're doing nothing and we're stuck inside). I figured by now I'd have it down, but nope! We try to get cleaning done on weekends, but it gets boring pretty quick!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I have never met a clean freak that didn't have to neglect some other part of their life / day to keep a perfect house. Keep a tidy and clean house and everything will be okay.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:28 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I am married to a clean freak and nothing I ever clean is rightly done, so I left him to do, and now I agree with him when he is cleaning my house...he is great!!! But I have more important things to do that require my time...the house will always be there, but if you over do it...it will kill ya!

Answer by older at 10:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Let me guess you have little ones, and more than one. Yep! Normal.
    You're trying and that's what counts. As long as SO does his part too..if you have one that is.
    Keep it up=)
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Why are you doing the dishes so often? It takes us more than a day to use enough dishes to fill the dishwasher once. Are you doing them by hand? If that's the case, get a scotchbrite dish wand and use that instead of messing with filling a sink with water first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• This sounds like a post I wrote! I spend so much time on dishes and if I skip a day then it PILES up!!

I also have a crawling baby and an older child. Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out! The house just goes to hell in a day and no one wants to help... So..... I have been DREAMING of paper plates for a while now. I think I'll buy a big package of them and some dixie cups, that will cut down on dishes.

As for the house- I've put a different room on each day of the week on my calendar. That seems to be working well to start out. Then I *just* clean that one room that day- along with the daily dishes, laundry, sweeping, toy pickup. Gives me something to concentrate on for deep cleaning and I think in a month the house should be under control. I hope.

Good luck! Share tips of what works for you when you find something!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I grew up with one. You know how they do it? They make their family's lives a living hell. They're so busy cleaning they don't spend time with their kids. Their kids are so afraid to make a mess they live in fear of touching anything. Guests are so uncomfortable in their home they don't want to come over. Family stories about their freakishnss become legendary. Give it up and relax if you don't want to live like that. Let your home get a little messy and be comfortable and lived in and loved in.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Bullshit ballad, I keep my house clean & it doesn't interfere at all with my family time. No guests are ever uncomfortable here, they can touch and mess with any thing they want. It's seriously takes a short time to clean if you're not a slob in the first place.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• When the kids are grown the house stays cleaner. Except the kitchen. Just 2 of us and the think is always messy.

Answer by louise2 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 24, 2013