What state do you live in

Tell me all about it.
I will eventually move out of California to buy a house.
What's the weather like during all four seasons?
Must you pay property tax?
How much is gas right now?
What about retail tax? Cali is 8.25% I think right now
Do you like where you live?
Is it flat, have water? City like?
Things to do?
Safe?
Good place for a family?
How much did you pay for your house/how many rooms/square footage?
Tell me pros and cons.
Thanks
If you think I'll get more answers in a diff category let me know TX

sunnysideup89

Asked by sunnysideup89 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I live in Miami, Florida, the weather is warm most of the time...humidity during summer months bad. Property tax, YES! gas is about 3.30 for regular right now but it fluctuates. Flat as a pancake (Miami) big city life....beautiful beaches close by...I have raised my three children here, great grown ups now. I live in a residential area and built my own house...prices now here range to a million or just below. 5,000 sq feet. I call it paradise, if you pick a residential area, crime is minimal..I have lived in my house for over 30 years, and have not had much crime in or around our house.....

Answer by older at 11:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Thank you Older! Might I ask how much did it cost you to build your house? I always wanted to do that. Was it worth the time?
    sunnysideup89

Comment by sunnysideup89 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• It was over 30 years ago, so it cost us about $250.000 to build and 39,000 for the lot which is a an acre and a quarter......very private, neighbors are not too close, things have changed now and a lot now around here is over 100,000, and houses go for over a million sometimes...but they have doubled in size....It took me two years to built, and although I love having a house to my specifications, I don't think I would ever do it again...but yes it was worth it.

Answer by older at 11:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• There are plenty of other areas where houses are cheaper and neighborhoods are great.....

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Well, I live in California so I'm zero help. I won't move out of state til I'm an old woman, if ever.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Phoenix, AZ. The weather is hot most of the year, gets cold in Dec and Jan, very hot in summer, like 115. Flat with mountains around. A lotof desert and palm trees. Yes property tax. Can get a nice house for $250,000 and up. Gas is around $3.20/gal. AA lot of entertainment...theaters, stadiums, pro sports teams, a lot of restaurants, malls, lakes for water sports, sno skiing an hour away, camping, casinos, Grand Canyon. I've lived here my whole life and really like it, except the hot summers.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Wisconsin
    it sucks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I am BACK in California, We decided to make the 'geat escape' and moved to Casper, Wyoming in 2002. We stayed 6 years. Housing prices were outstanding. We bought a 2,000 square foot house on a golf course, with a park in front of our house, corner lot. $98,000. (sold it for $169,000 in 2008). Property taxes were low, no state income tax, sales tax low. Really a beautiful place to live.gas, much cheaper.

Cons- freezing for 8-10 months of the year (we actually had snow in September and June- not every year of course). Groceries were higher and we missed good fresh produce, medical care much more expensive, and there weren't always doctors available, for some things you had to go out of state. Wages were almost half of what my husband makes here.

Overall, it was a great experience, and if we had stayed, we'd have been happy, but I'm really glad to be back home in California!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• Colorado.

Three hundred plus sunny days a year, four seasons. Love the weather. Very dry, no humidity. Could do without the snow and cold, but we don't get that much really, and the summers aren't miserable muggy.

Yes to property tax, about eight percent sales tax. I'm in a condo of about eleven hundred square feet which happened to be a really bad investment because I bought right before the market tanked. So I bought a $150,000 condo for $120,000, thinking I got a great deal. Now I owe $110,000 on a home that's worth about $85,000. I also bought two bedrooms thinking I'd be living alone, not knowing I was pregnant and about to have an instant family. Still, the market will pick up eventually. Would love a yard, though.

Gas is around $3 a gallon, down quite a bit recently. Neighborhood isn't bad, decent schools. Lots to do, good for kids. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Born and raised here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2013

• I live in Raleigh NC. We are always in the top 10 best places to live for most categories. Prices for house, gas and property tax can vary drastically depending on which side of town you live on and which county you live in. We have 4 seasons, it's hot in the summer, cold in the winter but to me neither are extreme.

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2013