To swim or to run?

Which is better for weight loss. Swimming for 20min or jogging for 20min?

Shellmybells

Asked by Shellmybells at 4:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I dont know, but I personally would think swimming would because you have to move your arms and legs more.
    I was a swimmer in high school and swimming always seemed to do more than running.
    ArmyWifeNewMom

Answer by ArmyWifeNewMom at 4:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure - but go to this web site - you can enter your weight and the activity (they have jogging and running at different speeds and swimming) and it will tell you how many calories you burn.

http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp

I hope that helps!!
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 7:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Swimming is better on your joints
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• What is best for weight loss is doing either a an hour of swimming or an hour of slow running (at the least).

“In order for your muscles to use stored fat to fuel muscular activities, oxygen must be present at the site of the muscle. Unlike glycogen, which is the form in which your body suspends sugars, fat cannot be broken down in the absence of oxygen, Therefore the more efficient your body becomes at taking in, transporting and delivering oxygen, the grater will be your ability to burn up any excess fat.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Getting out of breath when you exercise is a sign that you are unable to provide your muscles with sufficient oxygen for them to work aerobically. When this occurs, your muscles will be relying on the breakdown of sugars (glycogen), and an organic compound called creatine phosphate, rather than using fat to supply their fuel needs. Exercising as intensely as you can, therefore, is not the best approach for fat burning. Adopting an intensity that you can sustain for an extended duration is far more effective. Walking briskly for an hour will result in far greater fat combustion than ten minutes of all-out effort.”
    keyaziz

• I agree that swimming is much better on your joints. My physical therapist has banned me from running bc of the damage that it can do.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• When I was in track I went to states I was the best 2 mile runner in my county. Not kidding at all. But when I had to swim for our work out I hurt so bad the next day. So for the whole bodie swim. It will give you nice lean muscles every lady wants.
    marvelgirl

Answer by marvelgirl at 9:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I alternate. I have a Y membership so I will walk on the treadmill at 3.8 mph with a 4 incline for 45 minutes several times a week, but on Fridays and Saturdays I swim. I usually can do 45 laps with breaststroke and sidestroke, plus I add fins in there and use a kickboard to work my legs.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thank you all so much for your helpfull answers :)
    Shellmybells

Answer by Shellmybells at 1:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2009