Well, this makes for a merry Christmas.. the water heater is leaking!

Went out to the garage to find a virtual river leaking from the water heater. We've cleared the area and turned the water off. Fortunately the heater's on a different valve from the rest of the house.

It seems to be the tank itself because the insulation inside the panel is wet. So now I'm trying to figure out if it's more cost-effective to have a plumber replace the heater or to get it done by Home Depot. Anyone have any advice on this?

UPDATE: Found a plumber who can do the job today for a reasonable price. Home Depot ended up being too  pricey.

Asked by gdiamante at 6:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It's been my experience that unless you have a history with a plumber it's cheaper to get it done by Home Depot or another store like that.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• I agree with Brawn....

Answer by older at 6:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• Oh I am so sorry.... To make you feel better, I will tell you a water heater story... I was not even a year into my single mother status. I had just moved into my very first rental. It was an older home which had a garage converted into a bedroom with the washer and dryer and furnace in the closet. Of course this was MY room because I had this HUGE waterbed and it would only fit in there. Any who... one night the louvered door closet door fell off severing the water heater pipe.... OMG! I literally could not get the water to stop. It was everywhere. Flooded my bedroom and then some. Luckily I knew the guy that used to own the home. I called him and the city. The guy came over and shut the water off to the home... then the city showed up. It was a disaster!

Hope that makes your day a little brighter.... :)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:40 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• It does, m-avi! What a day!

I've been thinking I need to go through Home Depot. I just wish I could figure out the info on mine. Everything is wrapped up and while I do have the manual, it's a multi-model manual from the plumbing contractor, dating back to when the house was built. I'm not sure the size of this heater!

What makes it worse is that DH has surgery on Friday, and I won't let him put it off even though he wants to do so in order to deal with this.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• You are the THIRD person I've seen this happen to today!! It's an epidemic! One thing I learned from my other friends' troubles is that Lowe's seems to be able to deliver/install fastest. Someone called Sears and they told them Jan 2nd!!

It should say what the capacity is somewhere right on it. If you can't figure that out, look at it as if you were looking at 5 gallon buckets!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• "It should say what the capacity is somewhere right on it."

You'd think, wouldn't you? The insulation blanket may be covering the info.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• No advice, but I'm sorry to hear that. Try to have a merry Christmas anyway!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• That sucks. Hope your dhs surgery goes well.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• We had to replace our Water Heater a few months ago and found Home Depot was the most expensive route to go. So we hired a plumbing company that gave us the best price on what we wanted. We saved over 300.00 by going the route we went.
    Sorry this happened to you! Sucks!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2013

• Yuck! DH did ours himself a few years ago, we couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it and he's handy enough it was pretty easy.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:20 AM on Dec. 26, 2013