What would I look for when buying a good pair of roller-skates for my five-year-old?

Her birthday won't be a few more months, but I'm thinking I may shop for skates if there are any on clearance. Does anyone know what traits I should look for in good ones? The price range is really staggering, and there's a ton of conflicting online literature to read. I'm wanting some that she can use on the sidewalk. Would I be better off with boot skates, tennis shoe skates, or the plastic kind she can put on over her shoes?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:23 AM on Dec. 26, 2013 in Shopping

• If she's not going to be using them at a rink, Chicago makes pretty good outdoor brands and they aren't that expensive. If she was going to make it more of a hobby, then looking at names like Riedell or Pacer, wheel durometer, bearings becomes something more to pay attention to. Just start her off with something from Chicago brand and go from there. Just remember outside and inside skates are different.

The clomps clomps over the shoes bruise toes because they pinch and there is no wiggle room.

I'm just speaking from experience and we skate several times a week. Don't forget pads and a helmet :)
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• For a 5 year old,I wouldn't worry too much about quality. Stick with the boot type,and get the 4 wheeled kind,not the rollerblade type

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Boot style to support her ankles.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:25 AM on Dec. 26, 2013