Which toys/games were the hits and misses this year?

This was a game year more than a toy year - Boom Boom Balloon was fun, but nerve wracking. We could only do 3 rounds of it before we needed a break. Surprisingly he got bored with Battleship the quickest - he plays it online all the time, so I guess that's spoiled him for having to manually put all those pegs in and take them out again when the game is done. None of the games were absolute amazing hits or big misses.

Of the toys, his favorite is a little building set I found at UA&E called Contraptions. It's just a bunch of wooden pieces and some fancy ping pong balls you can set up to make giant Rube Goldberg machines.

What won in your house? What should people not bother buying this year? Was anyone unfortunate enough to get Moon Sand?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• Well, the nerf gun that I bought my 24 year old son because he said he wanted one and never got it when he was 12. I told him it wasn't because we were broke, it was because he and his brothers would shoot each other and start fighting......so I bought it now that they're 22 & 24, guess what. They shot each other and started fighting!! But the gun is a hit.

Also a remote control plane was a big hit, a Zelda game....yes they are 22, 24 & 31, we bought them toys.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I suppose I should apologize to their future wives for raising big kids. Sorry girls!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:56 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My DH played NCAA football 14 on the Xbox majority of the day yesterday, so that was a big hit with him. DS loves his Octopod, and it's great how Santa coordinates with his aunts, too. So now he has almost everything to go with it. DD sat still and played with her blocks for the longest time. I've never seen her so still. The stroller she got from MIL was a big hit too, but she runs people over with it and the poor baby doll in it gets jostled around. Lol
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:20 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Also a remote control plane was a big hit, a Zelda game....yes they are 22, 24 & 31, we bought them toys.

All the men and boys at my sister's house were all engrossed in one of my nephew's toy rockets. It kept them all entertained for a while.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:26 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

DH got 2 of the board games, don't worry, they'll find wives who'll play with them.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Skylanders swap force dark edition was a hit with DS and book and the nerf bow and arrow thing was a hit with dd. we haven't opened Laser Maze yet, but that looks fun.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• mine got no games or toys this year...
    daughter (20) got a crock pot, toaster/toaster oven, robe, fleece sheets, a new belly dance belt and dvd, an Avengers nightlight to go in her Avengers themed bathroom

her boyfriend (19) got a Game of Thrones tee shirt, socks, a wallet and some coffee flavoring (his family claims to be jewish- but don't really celebrate at all)

son (17) got new cymbals, a double bass pedal and some new heads for his drums, a tee shirt, socks, a bucket of cotton candy

and a little candy for everyone in the stockings!

no new video games this year or anything
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:18 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• For my oldest The harry potter series, fur real monkey, and her loom band thing. For my youngest her fur real cat and her my little pony equestrians sp?
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:27 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My boys each got a game. My oldest got Jenga Tetris, which was something of a hit. My youngest got Beat the Parents, which we have to take back, because it was supposed to come with 3 decks of cards, and only came with 2. And they're question cards, specific to the game, so I can't just grab a deck and pretend, like my mom tried to suggest. lol So we don't know if that one's a hit or not yet, but it probably will be. Looked fun when we read the directions.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My 3 yo loves her Sing Around the Rosie doll and my 5 yo wanted to sleep with his batman batcave!

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Dec. 26, 2013