How do you get the smoke smell out of a wooden dresser?

My bf got a whole bunch of furniture from some people. EVERYTHING smells like smoke. I cant stand it. i do not smoke and i do not allow anyone to smoke in my home. So you could just imagin how much i smell it. I managed to get the smoke smell out of the couch its just the 2 dressers i cant seem to get it out of.

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 26, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I called my Aunt, she has lots of experience in this.
    She suggest to try cedar chips in every drawer, after you wash the outside with lemon oil, then wrap in plastic and let the cedar chips sit in the drawers for up to a week. She said to put quite a few in each drawer, the wood should start to absorb the smell of the cedar from the inside, worth a shot.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I have a china cabinet that I've had for 3 years, got it from someone who smokes heavily. Aired it out for days, cleaned it with lemon oil, it wioul smell fine for a day or two on the outside, but the inside wouldn't last for more than a few hours.....and I had to take everything out and clean again. I tried putting baking soda inside, It has three drawers and I'd sprinkle it under drawer liners. I tried leaving air freshners inside. The smell was so ingrained in the wood. My husband finally took it and stripped it, restained it and sealed with shellac. After 3 years, that was the only thing that got rid of the odor.

Sorry, and with a dresser it will get into your clothes.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:41 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Tried Murphy's oil soap, I pretty much tried everything over the 3 years we've had it....stripping and refinishing it were the only thing that worked.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:13 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Can you put it outside for a day or so, then polish with lemon oil.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:31 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• i would try the outside thing but no one to carry it. just me and the 3 kids here and the neighborhood i live in, it wouldnt stand a chance with all the kids. I havent put any clothes in it. i refuse to. and i tried all cleaners too. Baking soda is in it right now lol.
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I second the idea of repainting or refinishing it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• The only thing that will work is stripping and refinishing or painting (and if you paint, get good paint!). The smoke gets in the grain of the wood and is impossible to get out.

Answer by missanc at 11:01 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Maybe some Murphy's Oil Soap would work.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Try cleaning the inside with essence of turpentine.

If the wood is unvarnished (waxed, for instance) use a mix of one third beeswax (or carnauba or candelilla wax) and two thirds essence of turpentine and brush it on all over the outside and then buff it up.

If the wood is varnished then you'll just have to strip it and start over ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:27 AM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Sand outside and restain everything including drawers,,,,  

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2013