If Seaworld is wrong then are zoos? Just finished watching Blackfish....

What a horrible place Seaworld is so it got me wondering- is it wrong to take my son to our local zoo to learn about those animals? Or do zoos treat their animals better than Seaworld? I realize each zoo is different but seems to me that zoos seem to try to do more to save animals, especially endangered ones, than make a spectacle of them... Or is that wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• Zoos don't force animals to perform. We are observing them in as natural of an environment as the good zoos provide. Yes the wild is better, but as you said, some animals are endangered or near extinction & need the support of good zoos & breeding programs.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• SeaWorld has responded to the documentary's charges; you might be interested to read their response at SeaWorldCares.com. Full disclosure: My BIL is a diver at SeaWorld.

But I also know they've done a LOT of rescue work over the years. Especially this year, when hundreds and hundreds of young sea lions wandered on shore, sick and malnourished. Similarly, the San Diego Zoo has been dedicated to saving endangered species. Just think: California condors were nearly extinct in the 1980s. There were only 22 left! They were captured and then bred at the San Diego and LA Zoos. As of last May, there were more than 400 California condors, more than half of them living in the wild and the rest still in captivity.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• i guess it depends on your local zoo. the last time i went to mine the tigers all looked starved, so i havent been back.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I watched blackfish not too long ago. What *I* got out of it was that one male orca that started at the "marine park" in Vancouver had a lot of screws loose due to the shitty conditions he lived in there. Sea World KNEW he was crazy, but kept him for breeding. A lot of the whales in captivity have some kind of bloodline to him. Because of that, name of the orcas at Sea World, and elsewhere aren't quite right in the head.

Other than breeding crazy, and inbreeding, I don't really see how Sea World is at fault for the deaths of the trainers.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I don't think Tilikum is at all related to Keto though (the one who killed the trainer at Loro Parque) so it seems to be more than just breeding crazy whales in my opinion. Keto did come from SeaWorld so maybe it has to do with being captive at all and how they are treated.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Keto and those whales were used to a certain level of interaction, and large areas to swim in. When they were sent to Loro Parque they got less than what they were used to.

Whatever the cause, I don't think those gorgeous animals should be penned in like they are.

Oh, and to answer your original question: I don't think animals in zoos are as bad off as orcas are. Zoos do a MUCH better job of trying to give them a natural habitat than Sea World does.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I think people learn a lot from zoos and aquariums, and lately those places do much to conserve and study wildlife. It isn't just about keeping animals in shoeboxes for people to gawk at anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Zoos are fine. They take care of their animals much better than Sea World does. The animals in zoos are in their natural habitat and fed daily. They get a balanced diet and are not in danger of getting harmed.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I think there is more than one side to every story and this side (presented in Blackfish) was the one that would sell the most tickets.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2013