Please help settle a little debate

My 11 y/o already has a Nintendo DSI & a Kindle Fire. Her B-day is around the corner & she is asking for a Nintendo 3DS. I say that the 2 electronics she already has is fine & she says the 3DS has more upgrades & better games. So any input you can give that would be helpful with this matter would be greatly appreciated. :)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2013 in Technology

• I think she has enough already. The 3DS is NOT backwards compatible with all the other DS games that are already on the market. So, you'd have to buy all new games anyway. There IS a 2DS out now that will play both 3D and regular games.

I'm a firm believer that kids should be outside playing with each other and using their imaginations. All these gadgets and STUFF that encourages them to sit on their butts baffles me. Yes, I will let my kids play more video games in the winter when it's too cold to go outside and play, but once it's warmed up again, almost all the electronics get put on a shelf and get very limited usage.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My kids do the same thing..ask for the latest game system b/c the new one can do so much more and play so many more games. I have them keep the one they have for at least 3 years then upgrade b/c the "old" one is still pretty good and can also do quite a bit. Its a waste of money to get a new one every time they upgrade b/c they upgrade those systems every year so parents will keep spending money.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• At the risk of being called the evil stepmother yet again, since that seems to be the trend lately on this site, I just threatened to stuff my stepson's XVox down the garbage disposal if he didn't stop yelling at it. It's too cold to send him outsie. Seriously, she doesn't need another electronic gadget to play the latest video games, or if she does, sheshould trade in the ones she has to help pay for it, like Virginiaama said.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• When my son said he wanted more electronics I said he had to get rid of 2. He had a Wii, DS and Nook. He took his Wii and DS and all the games to the gamestop and got $147 that he used to pay for the Xbox he wanted.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I say don't waste your money, we have the DS3 or whatever, it is hard in our area to find games for it. I say buy her some boxing gloves, just kidding, but really I don't think it is worth the extra money for the DS3, surely she wants anything else?????
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• She has more then I would have gave her already.
    She does not need any more.

Answer by louise2 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• I don't, I personally think 2 is one too many, but if she wants a new one, I would at least think about bargaining like ok choose to sell/give away/donate one of the other 2 devices then you can have the new device.
    Personally I still have a hard time even wanting my 7yr old to play on my phone, I just figure he doesn't need all the electronic gadgets.
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 5:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• She can do everything on the 3 ds that she can do on her dsi, so she can get rid of that one and still have only 2. You CAN play all the ds games on the 3ds - my kids do it all the time. I would do it if that's what my kids wanted.

Answer by missanc at 5:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• The 3DS is NOT backwards compatible with all the other DS games that are already on the market.

Yes it is. It will play any DS game out there. Now it won't be in 3D obviously because the original games weren't designed in 3D, but it will play them. I have the 3DS. It does have more bells and whistles and it's a nice upgrade. HOWEVER I agree if she wants to upgrade she needs to sell the DSI. Might even go 3DSXL the for larger screen.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• As for better games that is debatable, but the newer games they are making will most likely be 3DS because Nintendo wants you to do the upgrade.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2013