If your ds12 wants a Facebook account will you open one for him?

He is just bugging me for one his dad & I said NO!
But is not here at the moment so he trying to get me to cave.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is 11 and says his friends do not have a FB account. So I do not know who he would talk to on there.

If he wants to keep up with family, he can continue what he is doing and look at my FB account when I do or call or visit.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Yep. My 14 yo is a good kid and I told him when he was 12 I was okay with him having a fb account

Answer by missanc at 7:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• NO. I've gotten far too many computer viruses from facebook.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• Nope. TOS say they have to be at least 13 before they can have an account. I've reported kids I know to be underage.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My 12 yr old will be 13 in a couple of months, and I have not even begun to entertain the notion. I realize that kids can have an account at 13, but I see some of the stuff that gets shared, and it's not stuff I'd want them to see. So I'm not sure he'll get one at 13, 14 or 15, either. No way I would get him one now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• That said, he still does not have one. It's no longer as popular among teens.

Answer by missanc at 7:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My D's is 13 and has one. I just monitor it and read all his info. I have full access to his account and he knows the rules. He knows I read everything. I do it right in front of him. We've had no problems so far b/c everything is out in the open. It can be a good place for kids to communicate if handled right.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• No way.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• You are the adult. If he continues to nag tell him you will cancel his phone, ipo or computeraccount as well. No means no.

And to answer you no I would not. And my kids knew that if I said I would think about it and they ask more than one more time it was and automatic no.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2013

• My 12 year old says kids her age think FB is stupid. I think Instagram is where they go now.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2013