What is the going rate for Grandma's who live in and babysit?

My daughter and her family recently came back to Tucson to live. They lived with me in my apartment for 6 months. They both have jobs now and a nice home for their family. They moved me out of my apartment and into their home and I babysit, cook, clean, do laundry, etc. (besides take care of the dog). I am looking for work but have not found a job yet. I feel that even though I am living with them, I should be getting paid something (just so I could have a bit of spending money and not rely on them for my personal needs). The kids are 11, 8, and 16 months old, so I am busy constantly every day.

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would talk to her about it. They may feel that by providing you with a place to live it may be an even exchange. But if you are capable of living by yourself, than you kinda qualify as a nanny, not a babysitter, and I would look at it like that. I think it will be a touchy subject, so broach it as carefully as you can. i hope it helps.

Answer by NomadSara at 8:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i agree with ^^

Answer by MisanthropKitty at 9:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree, you should be getting some compensation even if it is just 50 bucks a week or probably spend that much on gas running the kids around

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i agree with the first

Answer by leah2113 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My mom makes $20 a day watching my niece and nephew. The deal is that she only gets paid for when my brother and sister-in-law work. All other times are just considered "Grandma Time." But she doesn't live with them. So that is a completely different dynamic.

Answer by Brenna at 10:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Depending on the state you are on, find out what the going rate is for nannies. and then you might want to ask your daughter, that 3 children are a handful, and if you do other things, you also had a life before moving in with them, and you would like to be able to have some money so you could have some finantial independence.

Good luck, I am a grandma who adopted her grandbaby, but I still help my daughter with anything she needs, and she doesn't work!

Answer by Madrepor2ndavez at 1:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My Grandmother lives with my husband and I and watches y son when we are working or I am in school. We pay the food and make sure she has everything she needs. We do not pay her since she is really taken care of. I will however ask her if she needs any money every few days, just to make sure she has something in her pocket.

Answer by mrsaidensmommy at 9:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2008