How soon after getting my membrane swept can I expect to go into labor?

I got my membrane swept today, they said I was dilated at 1cm so they went ahead and swept my membrane. I lost my mucus plug two nights ago. He also said I had that pink tint to my discharge. I was doing alot of reading on membrane sweeping and alot of the commenters said that they either went into labor that night or within 48 hours. I've already been experiencing some contractions! So, now I want to hear from you girls. How soon after getting your membrane swept did you go into labor?

Mother-Ship

Asked by Mother-Ship at 3:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Still took me more than a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Not evidence based care.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 6:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I had it done three times, never went into labor.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Sorry, it didn't work for me.

Good luck mama, what is your due date?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Anytime.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• My obstetrician stripped my membranes without my permission, actually after I told her not to. That was at a Monday morning checkup, and I still didn't go into labor till Friday night. She did it because she was going on vacation later that week and she wanted me to go into labor so I would deliver before she left, which I thought was a stupid, horrid reason. It didn't happen. If I hadn't been full term and unable to get up off the exam table because my very pregnant belly was in my way and my feet were in the stirrups, I probably would have wrung that doctor's neck and gotten myself arrested. Our relationship had deteriorated badly by then, and it was a fortunate thing that she was away on vacation and that her partner delivered my baby by C-section. He was a wonderful physician and an excellent surgeon. So anyway, stripping the membranes is no guarantee that you will go into labor right away, although it can help..
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Not a recommended way of inducing labor eh but to each their own. There is no hard evidence that it does anything to induce labor so really it all depends on your baby and your body. Could be hours could be days.
    Anonymous

• It works better if your over 2cm dilated my cousin was 2 1/2 cm and had her baby less than 2 days after hers was done.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 1:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Depends, with my first my midwife did it 3 separate times and it was still a week later, with my second my water broke as she was doing it.
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 2:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I think I read a study that said that some women's due dates are miscalculated. Therefore, if your membranes are swept but you are not really close or past your actual due date, it's likely to have no effect. Just don't count on it. And also, don't be in a hurry. Too many women I know end up delivering really tiny babies and all they could talk about beforehand was being so sick of being pregnant. I know they didn't feel that way after their babies had to stay in NICU. Could just be coincidence. And then those same ladies don't want to face childbirth head on (who does?) and try relaxation techniques and all that and end up in labor for hours, do epidural, pitocin, c-section. Embrace the pain! Go with the flow, that baby will come in her own time (and for everything else, there's your own intuition followed by western medicine...give your intuition a chance to kick in first). Just be as patient, go clean something! Congrats!
    LaMama7

Answer by LaMama7 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2013