The Myth of Christian Unity

Read this first - it's short.

Is there really only one "Christianity" today, even though it's two opposing sides who don't agree on anything (they can't even agree on the nature of their own allegedly shared deity), or is it really two groups of people, both too stubborn to give up the attachment to the word, waiting for the other side to give in first?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2013 in Religious Debate

• No I don't believe there is one christianity, nor do I believe there ever was just "one". There have always been people who veered off into a different direction....it's just that there are more people veering off in those other directions; leaving the conservative views in the dust.
    Our society has shown, through time, that as we learn more we realize the error of our ways-despite what a bible may say about it. We have realized blacks are equal, as are women. That inter-racial marriage is acceptable as is marriage between different beliefs and cultures.
    People who cling to the idea that those antiquated ideas of blacks being lesser or gays arren't our equals, I believe, are simply racist/discriminatory pricks who use their religion to justify their ideas/thougths/actions against these people that are different than themselves.
    I'm not sure that answered your question :/ Sorry!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• or is it really two groups of people, both too stubborn to give up the attachment to the word, waiting for the other side to give in first?

I think this is a better answer.....

Answer by older at 9:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Anyone that has any knowledge of the history of Christianity knows that the various grous were formed by schisms, or breaking away because they did not like a certain aspect of the teachings or the practices of the times.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

Yes, they do. So your opinion on the actual question?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I agree. Harvey Cox, in his Future of Faith, discusses the fallacy of there ever being one Christianity, especially early on.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Although I would say there are more than two Christianities. There are two larger camps competing now, though, the more "progressive" and the fundamentalist, but there exist many, MANY different Christianities.

I wouldn't say that we're "too stubborn." I think that we each are committed to our understanding of the faith/text. There is much of value to hold on to, however one understands it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2013

• So my answer is that they sprung from one , which was a combination of many peoples and split into several. They have commonality in someways and not in others. The ones that split from those that had already split are farther removed from the original.

If you have a couple of semesters, I can hold a class. It is and is not a simple answer.
    As far as waiting each other out, I doubt that there is that thought among the majority of Christians. They just go about their own way.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• It is sort of like saying all atheists believe.........
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• In my personal experience there has never been One Christianity... Not historically. Not in my domination. And not in my own family. It doesn't really bother me. People feel and experience things differently. Eye witnesses to the exact same event will have massively different accountings of it. So how can there just be one interpretation of God, who is everything???
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

No, it's not at all. But thanks for the condescending offer to hold a class. The point is there is no commonality. Even the surface ones people claim exist "believing Jesus is their one true savior and accepting him" is false - they all define Jesus differently, which is the point of that article. They are groups worshiping different deities that have the same name, but nothing else in common. Either some are wrong completely, or they are not the same religion. The idea that they are all the same religion with exact polar opposite definitions of EVERYTHING is not sustainable. This isn't quibbling over whether stained glass windows are too flashy, but the very definitions of the main characters in the book.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2013