I know I probably can't do anything but thought I would ask...

If I order something from a consultant that has a direct selling business and I paid for it by check and didn't receive my items ordered or my money back, is there anything that I can do to get my money back without taking the person to small claims court?

I keep getting the run around from the company and the consultant. She told me that if I didn't receive my items by this past Monday then I can contact the company and get my money back. I contacted the company and they said they didn't receive an order from me at all and that I need to contact the consultant. 

I have ordered from this company several times and have never had a problem. This was the first time ordering from this consultant. I feel like she took my money and ran. 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 3:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2013 in Money & Work

• Who was the check made out to, and was it cashed/deposited? If you made it out to the company, and it was put through, then get a copy of the front and back of your check and send it to them as proof that they at the very least received your money and need to return it. A canceled check is pretty weighty evidence. If it was made out to the consultant, then your only option may be to take her to court. Made out to her, the company may very well have absolutely no knowledge of what happened, if she failed to place the order. If it comes to that, get a letter from the company stating that they never received an order from you and take that along with a copy of your canceled check to show the judge that she took your money and you didn't get what you ordered.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Well I don't know what you ordered, but if it was something like Mary Kay I know the consultant places the order for you, so as to get in the group discount or whatever.
    Call her today and say that you have not gotten your items, the company says SHE never placed your order, you wrote her (I assume) the check, she cashed it at your bank and needs to fufill her obligation. Tell her she has until next Friday to make sure you get your things. Now I am guessing we are talking about more than $20? You can also file a complaint with the company she sells for against her. If it is less than $20 I would just steer clear of her from now on.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• You'll have your canceled check as proof of purchase. Tell the consultant she has 7 days to come up with your items or you will be filing charges.
    Corporate usually handles stuff like this once they hear both sides of the story. Did you order it at a party or did you just place an individual order? It could be that the Hostess is trying to earn extra credit and hasn't submitted the party yet...
    PM me. I can find out how the company in question handles disputes, or if they have a backorder issue.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I placed my order at a party. I received a confirmation/receipt about two weeks after the party and it said that I will be receiving another email once the order was placed and the items shipped. I never received that email. When I contacted the hostess (I haven't heard from the consultant other than the email) to see if she had received the items since on the order it said that they would be shipped to her, she told me that the consultant said if I haven't received it by Monday or Tuesday of this week, that I could call and get my money back. After a few emails back and forth with the company they finally said to just contact the consultant. 

I did however just get a call from the company just now. They are looking into it because apparently someone else had called and complained as well. 

PGA, I will pm you the company's name.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• So, is this where someone stole the package off your porch or the order wasn't received at all despite your paying for it?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Jean, It was never shipped. The company says that they never received the order. The consultant called me about an hour ago and told me that my order would be sent to me in a few days according to what was told to her. When I told her that I called the company and they told me that there never was such an order, we did a three way call with the company. Now they are saying that when the order was placed, her card was declined so the order never went through. She has a confirmation number that it did go through, it shows up on her credit card that it went through and everyone else who put in an order with a debit/credit card, had their money taken out. They kept transferring her from one department to another. By the end, I felt sorry for her. I never had problems with this company but it looks like they are the ones at fault for this. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2013