Those of you that have German shepherds

If you have a German shepherd . Can you explain to me their shedding process ? On the summer my 2 yr old GSD was shedding so so bad and than when it started to get cooler on the fall it slowed down some and came to a halt , now it's beginning of winter here in Philly and on the 40s and my floors are covered in hair again ! Ahhhh also how do you deal with this extreme shedding ? How often do you brush ? Will the whole winter be like this ? Will it calm down again ?

ALLSPORTMOM

Asked by ALLSPORTMOM at 4:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2013 in Pets

• Often dogs shed when they are getting their winter coats and when their summer coats come in. Our dogs always seemed to follow the heating and cooling cycles of our furnace and air conditioners. LOL When they are shedding a lot try brushing every day. Then when you notice that there is not so much in the brush cut back to every other day.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 5:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• That type of dog has two coats. In the spring they shed their under coat. Winter they grow it back. Google it .

Answer by louise2 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Mine is also a fur factory. I understand that they shed in the spring. I don' t understand why they have to shed in the fall. It would make more sense if half of it fell out in the spring and then grew back in the fall, but that isn't how it works!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• The Shepherd we had when I was growing up & the lab/shepherd mix we had for over 13 yrs. pretty much shed all year round. Brushing helps, but it just seems to be never-ending with that breed. Still love 'em tho. :) ( Plan to vacuum daily. )
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• German Shepherds Shed ALL YEAR LONG, which is something I didn't think about when we got ours, love her, but sometimes I feel like shaving her bald because of the hair!
    I got a furminator and it's the best thing for getting out her dead hair, the pile makes a whole other dog!
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 7:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Ckel omg so true that's what I said its another dog ! I am vacuuming twice a day ! I don't know how she's not bald from all that hair coming out ! How do they have so much of it ! Ill look into that furminator:)
    ALLSPORTMOM

Comment by ALLSPORTMOM (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Shedding blades work great for removing the undercoat they look like a torture device but really work well.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Like liss said, get a shedding brush ( horse brush). It looks like a big curved hacksaw blade. It will pull off so much more hair and help to eliminate some of the shedding...
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• We have a Border Collie mix and I swear she is shedding more than my two cats put together.

Our Shepherd preferred to be outside, so she didn't shed as much but the Lab/Beagle (looked like a Lab but short like a Beagle), he would shed all year round and still looked fluffy.

I agree with the everyone that said BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH. We have to brush Miss Pepper every day, sometimes she gets it twice.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2013