Do you think I threatened her kids?

Yes, it's my neighbors again. Not the same ones, it's another one this time. A new one. She's got boys, one older than my daughter and one younger. They were out with my daughter, my stepson, and a couple of kids I know, shooting Nurf guns at my window. I didn't think the Nurf guns would hurt the window, so I wasn't worried about that. The kids had taped some paper targets with numbers up there and were trying to hit them. But they had hit some wind chimes a few times, so I went out there and said, in a calm way, that if they broke my chimes, I was going to be really unhappy about that. I wanted them to move the targets to the wall of the garage across from the window and shoot at them over there instead. An older kid from the next building over, who can get pretty mouthy once in a while, protested the plan because the garage wall is rough and wet from melting snow, so the darts wouldn't stick, and the paper targets would be ruined. I told him we'd have to work out a compromise because I'd be really unhappy if my chimes got broken and some of them are fragile. We were in the process of deciding to take down my chimes, which we eventually did, when the mom of these two new boys came over and accused me of threatening her kids by saying I'd be really unhappy.

Exactly when and how did I threaten anybody's kids? I didn't get upset. I didn't raise my voice. Would any of you moms have felt that your little ones were threatened if a neighbor lady came out whyle Nurf guns were getting played with by a porch while your youngsters were in a mixed group and said that she would be unhappy if her chimes got broken and asked that the targets be moved?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• My sister was snubbed by her daughter and her family (in whose house she lives) for telling one of the new husband's kids that she was never going to lend them any more things because they are careless (which they are) and because they never return said items (which they don't). She didn't yell either. She just spoke to them as she would if they were her "real" grandchildren. She was ignored or rudely addressed for over two weeks--including by her daughter. You didn't do anything wrong either. You didn't raise your voice or threaten physical harm to the children. With the "me-first, easily offended, defensive, short-tempered" mentality of today's society, you didn't have to. Protect yourself and your stuff. If the kid's inattentive, irresponsible parents take it wrong then that's THEIR problem.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I think she heard a different story, you should have told her, here take the targets and stick them on YOUR windows then. LOL
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• You didn't threaten their little snowflakes. Sheesh!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• No, you didn't threaten them and I don't think you were unreasonable. But some reassurance‚Ķ Your chimes are in more danger from the wind that makes them ring. **smile** My kid's fired off all sizes of Nerf darts in the house, never a problem. They've hit breakable things and nothing broke.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Not threatening in the slightest! Dunno why the boys mom got her knickers in a twist.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• No you did not threaten them, I would have done the same....

Answer by older at 6:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Seems like a reasonable thing to say, to me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• i would have 'yelled' at my kid, she is not allowed to play with any guns ( toy guns included)

i do not think what you said was a threat
    if other parents are not supervising their children, some adult has to
    mouthy kids are... well... mouthy
    and they most likely get it from their adult
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• No you did not threaten them. Then I would have told her to let them shoot their toys at her windows because she had no chimes that could be broken.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I would have agreed whole heartedly with you and told my kids to move the stuff away from your chimes. What happened to those days? Anyway....no you did not threaten her kids.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2013