Apparently A&E's "sensitivities" aren't as important as the Robertsons' money

They have announced Phil will be part of the filming when they start again in April. I'm sure it's all over the place I've seen several sources already. Here is where I stand on it. I believe they thought people would be laughing at the "stupid rednecks". (so stupid they are all millionaires and were before the show). They never expected people to actually like them. They knew full well Phil would say something "objectionable" eventually and thought they could end the show when he did. The problem is the show is hugely popular and Phil is a big part of that. Now they're stuck with them.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 6:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The problem is the show is hugely popular and Phil is a big part of that. Now they're stuck with them.

Not really. They could cancel the show if they really wanted to. Networks do it all the time. Surely there's been at least one show that you absolutely loved that the network canceled and you wondered what the hell they were thinking.

So they're not REALLY stuck with them or the show - they're choosing to be "stuck" with them.

Personally, I think the guy's an ass and the show is stupid anyway, so I really don't care.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Here's my cynicism again: I'm wondering if the season to be aired has lost whatever charm or punch the previous season(s) had, and this is the way to get people interested in watching this time around.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• well, i for one, never heard of these people before the jackass spouted off his shit stirring statement

and now that i know of the show and what it all about, even more unlikely to ever watch it (if that is even possible)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• "I can't believe the show is so hugely popular. I got through about three-quarters of an episode before I asked myself why I was wasting my time."

You know, I wonder if the 14 million viewers are mainly regular viewers, or if there's a large number of "tire kickers" who tune in once or twice and never again. There are 313 million people in the US, after all.

Could be there are people who tune in to laugh and will never never never buy a single product advertised on the show, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I've watched very little of the show due to only having 2 channels at home so I've watched a little on the internet. I think that the big draw is the fact that it is basically a clean, family show. There's no sex, twerking, cussing, etc. You may not agree with their views on religion but it is something that you could sit down with your kids and watch with out wondering if you should cover their eyes or not.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• You could very well be right gdiamante. There is a lot of chatter about this all being a publicity stunt,
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I have only seen the show a few times but it is one of the most popular shows on TV. Since this story came out I cannot believe how many people watch the show. Over 14 million viewers tune in each week!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Just posted an update, they called off the suspension
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• I can't believe the show is so hugely popular. I got through about three-quarters of an episode before I asked myself why I was wasting my time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2013