Anyone ever tried Phenibut or Kava Root for insomnia?

I have a 22 year old son who has always had sleeping issues. Lately his insomnia is really bad and interfering with his quality of life so I was looking into some otc remedies. Wondering if anyone here has used either of these.

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2013 in Health

• I thought about Kava, but there were a lot of negative things posted about it. I bought Hops online because I heard that helps too... but have yet to try it. I was just taking Melatonin (about 8 mg) but that makes me soooo grouchy the next day. Has he tried the Valerian?

Seriously, everything I have tried that is supposedly natural, either gives me nightmares, anxiety or that hung over feeling.

Read up on the Hops though....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• Thanks!! I will!!!
    Nimue930

Comment by Nimue930 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• No I try to use lifestyle changes and behavioral modification. That works best for me.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Honestly mine has been so bad that I went to drugs.
    I want to get off of them and on to something more natural.
    Frankly express scrips and Med-co merged and since then it has been a nightmare even getting my thyroid meds.
    This is ridiculous so I will be reading up on the hops too. I tried the zzzquil It made me feel like I was going to crawl out of my skin.

I do the routine and get more fresh air, sunshine and excesiize but nothing changes my sleep issues.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I do not know about Kava root, but the phenibut builds tolerance quickly, and the sudden withdrawl is a bitch to deal with. But I agree with Jenny.. Many folks try saying OTC sleep aids are not habit forming but they are, I used to use them when I needed to sleep, and I couldn't relax. Or my thoughts were always racing when I was trying to get to sleep. The thoughts were varied mainly school and life in general. And I found myself unable to fall asleep, and was taking the blue gel caps sleep aids when the herbal stuff seemed to stop working after awhile. I would advise him to go see a doctor and get evaluated to rule out anything physical or mental. Especially if this has been constant for the past 6 months. But if you can't do that, I would go with what Jenny and Dardenella said. Also tell him to stop his caffeine intake after 6pm. Pop, coffee, chocolate etc to see if that helps.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I've used Kava and it was relaxing. Does he have difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep?
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 11:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• He has trouble getting to sleep. Staying awake all night is common for him. He's gone to the doctor...nothing. He doesn't drink any caffeine ever and he's very physically active....
    Nimue930

Comment by Nimue930 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Let us know if it works. I'd be interested to hear, anyway. I haven't had as much trouble since I've been on the Topamax, but I've strggled with insomnia for years and may have issues again, so I'm always interested in natural remedies.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• If he is able to get to sleep, I would suggest melatonin. This can only be taken at night. This will help him stay asleep but won't help him get to sleep.

vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 1:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2013