Are you a neat freak? How do you do it?

I try but I always seem to still have a pile of mail on the counter, kids shoes in the hall, a few dirty dishes and random things here and there.

How do you ladies keep an immaculate house? I need to know your secret.

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I am a neat freak and a germaphobe, but I still don't consider my house immaculate. I consider it neat and tidy...which is fine with me. My philosophy is if I can't see the dust, it's not there... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Be a neat freak after the little ones are grown and gone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I am in no way shape or form a neat freak.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I am a horrible housekeeper. But my kids are happy!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I am not.
    I do work at using the Flylady approach (it is free and on line Flylady dot com) She tells you that you are not behind and to stop stressing. You start with baby steps.
    I am a quilter so I have lots of fabric. (If you put it in a dark closet, it breeds)
    That means that I have more "stuff" and she does not believe in "stuff".
    I agree but only to a point.
    LOL
    On the other hand I can close the door to that room. Oh and the store room. And my closet. Sshh.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I am a hot mess.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I'm a neat freak. I hate clutter of any kind and my carpet has to have vacuum lines, lol
    I feel that everything has a place so if you're through with it, put it away now, not later.
    I'm the same way at work. Actually at work I'm a clean freak and a germaphobe!
    I clean my counters, pens that patients use with straight alcohol. I don't mess around with germs, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I never allowed my kids to have any of their stuff anywhere but their rooms. Taught that from an early age. My house is not clean. It is dusty and needs a good vacum.  But the living roon and dinning room, you see when you first come in the house is neat.

Answer by louise2 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2013

• My mom was a neat freak, yet always had mail on the counter, shoes in the foyer and at least one coffee cup on the table. If it's not piled to the roof, then it's not "messy." It's a place where someone actually LIVES.

I'm actually uncomfortable in a house that does NOT look like what you describe; last time I was in one I was wondering if anyone actually lived there. It looked like a model home!

I will second Dardanella's suggestion about FlyLady. It works.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I have a routine and pretty much stick with it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2013