Financial Aid

I recently filed for FAFA. Every year I get aid, except I graduated in 2012 so did not do it for that year. I ended up wanting to take one class for fun but it cost me $500. I payed for it. Now I am wondering if they could reimburse me. If not its okay. Does anyone know. I will have to wait till Monday to call in ask. Just thought there might be someone with same story and would know before then. Thanks

sunnysideup89

Asked by sunnysideup89 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2013 in Money & Work

• No, they will not pay for several reasons. FASFA has changed a few rules and it will pretty much only pay for a certain amount of classes. If you took it after you had graduated they wouldn't pay anyway. If you took it before graduation and you only took that one class, they won't pay for it because you have to be attending at least half time to receive the Pell Grant. The only time they will retroactively pay is if you took classes, paid out of pocket and then completed the FASFA and qualified, then they will reimburse you for it. That happened to me once. I started school in the Spring and then filled out the FASFA mid-Spring and they paid me back.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• "The only time they will retroactively pay is if you took classes, paid out of pocket and then completed the FASFA and qualified, then they will reimburse you for it."
    This is exactly what happened to me. It was only one class, if I did FAFSA before hand I would have been fully covered.
    sunnysideup89

Comment by sunnysideup89 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• No because as JeremysMom already stated, you have to be enrolled at least half time. One class is not half time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• No, they won't.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 7:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2013