WHAT DOES "PRINCIPAL BALANCE" MEAN IN REGARD TO CHILD SUPPORT?

(IM NOT SURE WHERE TO POST THIS, SORRY IF ITS IN THE WRONG SPOT) MY DH OWED OR OWES BACK CHILD SUPPORT, WE ARE NOT SURE IF HE IS CAUGHT UP YET OR NOT, HE PAYS HIS CHILD SUPPORT WEEKLY & THEY TAKE OUT THE EXTRA FOR THE BACK CHID SUPPORT. THE CS WEBSITE SAYS THE PRINCIPAL BALANCE IS 832.00, HIS CS PAYMENTS WILL STOP IN JUNE DUE TO JOINT CUSTODY. IS THE 832.00 WHAT HE STILL OWES IN BACK CHILD SUPPORT OR WHAT HE OWES ALL TOGETHER UP UNTIL JUNE 1ST? THANKS!

Adams-Momma

Asked by Adams-Momma at 6:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure what it means. If I were him, I would call whoever is in charge of child support orders in your area (for my area, it's the clerk of the court) and ask them what it means, and how much he still owes for the past due support. That would be a lot easier than trying to guess and getting it wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It sounds like what he owes all together. Principal balance is what you owe without any interest added. I hope that helped at all.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Its worded differently then with my case which is in KY. It sounds like thats the total amount owed including this months child support.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• A principal balance is an unpaid total owed. On a loan like a mortgage it doesn't include your interest and taxes. It is the total owed on the loan. In a CS case it should be the same..the totalled owed to date.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2009