Aching Hands and Fingers

Have any of you found anything to ease the pain of aching hands and fingers from carpal tunnel syndrome, besides Advil, which I've already taken? I've had a diagnosis from a doctor, but it's not bad enough for surgery or anything. I've been typing regularly since I was in the fourth grade because I was taught to use a typewriter so I could turn in homework, and nothing was known in the seventies about wrist support or repetitive motion or ergonomic desks, and I used a braille writer years before that even. Braille writers are murder on hands and wrists because they're manual and hard to press, especially for small fingers. Sometimes it gets bad, and I've done a lot of mixing and baking this week. I still have a cake to make today, and my hands are really feeling the pain. I suppose I shouldn't be on the computer, but oh well.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2013 in Health

• Not sure if it will help you but I take a supplement called MSM. It's also sold as a gel that I rub into my joints. It really helps me but..... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Walgreen's has rigid wrist braces. This is standard care for CT and I'm surprised your physician didn't provide you with one. Regardless, you can get one and Walgreen's or CVS and they're just as effective.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 7:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Before I had Carpal Tunnel surgery, I wore a brace. Works great!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 7:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Are you using a brace?
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Weird, why didn't the dr give you a brace? I have one for my carpal tunnel. I'd ask him about it
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2013

• You need to use a rigid brace at the very least.... regularly!! If your doc didn't tell you that find a new one, he's a quack!
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 12:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• There's a device called Dragon for those with this condition. Uses voice recognition..
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Or google voice software and sometimes they are free actually, ignore previous website as there are many other better ones. My nurse friend uses this and it has helped her tremendously
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I am not sure, but I am having a horrible problem with my hand right now, no carpal tunnel that I can think of! I have taken Advil as well and it isn't touching it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2013