Backhanded Reassurances *Smile*

I ran out of dish soap and pecans while I was making a cake this afternoon, so the husband of a good friend of mine came over and brought me some while my boyfriend was at work and couldn't run to the store for me. I had some homemade Chex Mix and caramel corn that my aunt had brought over and some potato salad I had made, so we met at the door to make the exchange. I warned him against coming in the house because it's a disaster. I told him it looked like a toy bomb had gone off in here, plus the living room was full of kids playing some football video game on my stepson's XVox. He glanced in and said, "Don't worry, I've seen it looking much worse." We laughed, traded stuff, and he took off.

Well, a little while later, I was doing a sinkful of dishes, and it hit me. What did he say? I started thinking ... when did he see my house looking worse than the tornado it is now? I'll take the reassurance with the spirit I think it was intended and not worry about it. But I don't think it came out quite the way he meant it!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I liked Roseanne's explanation best. She said, "Excuse the mess, but we live here." lol :p So don't think of it as messy, but as lived in.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• It sounds like it probably came out wrong if your house doesn't normally look like it does now, and I would think he meant he's seen his own house look worse.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Guess he's seen your house messier.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I agree with Staci; sounds like he was just saying it wasn't as bad as he's seen it before?
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Well has he been to your house when it looked worse? I think he just had a brain cramp, no worries!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Oh girl please.....houses are meant to be lived in. And if you have kids add to that messiness ten fold. Add to it ten fold again if youre a busy mama cooking and baking in your kitchen. Be proud of your working hime!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• He probably meant that he had seen worse. Not your place but in general, lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• It was just a guy thing. Sometimes they don't quite word things the way they are meant to sound.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I just tell people "excuse the mess" and keep on going. They know I know it is messy.

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I once had a neighbor come to my house where she saw my high school graduation picture. She then said " You were pretty then" She instantly put her hands over her mouth, looking horrified. I just laughed.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 11:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2013